NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Project Bloom (Private Division x Game Freak)

PD_GF_ProjectBloom_ConceptArt_3840x2160-

A new Action Adventure title targeting a 2026 release.  Developed by Game Freak and published by Private Division (part of Take Two).  Yes, this isn’t April Fools.

“We’re thrilled to have the opportunity to create new IP that is bold and tonally different from our prior work,” said Kota Furushima, Director at Game Freak. “From the beginning, Private Division was the publisher we wanted to work with on our new game. Their track record and global expertise give us all the confidence to create a sweeping new action-adventure game that we can’t wait to share more about in the future.”

“Over the past three decades, you’d be hard pressed to find a studio which has released more iconic hits than Game Freak,” said Michael Worosz, Chief Strategy Officer, Take-Two Interactive, and Head of Private Division. “We’re ready to help Game Freak unleash their potential and we’re honored to be the first Western publisher to work alongside this exceptionally talented and proven team to bring a bold new IP to market.”

Project Bloom is in early development and does not yet have an announced release date. It is expected to launch during Take-Two’s Fiscal Year 2026. Private Division and Game Freak look forward to sharing more details about this game in the future

https://www.privatedivision.com/2023/05/09/private-division-announces-publishing-partnership-with-game-freak/

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I can see Game Freak doing an Action-Adventure game.

I cannot see Game Freak being able to produce even that screenshot, though. What the heck happened with their art style?! Or their lack of technological expertise?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I can see Game Freak doing an Action-Adventure game.

I cannot see Game Freak being able to produce even that screenshot, though. What the heck happened with their art style?! Or their lack of technological expertise?

That's concept art, not a screenshot.  I wouldn't expect the final game to look anything like it really.

But it does indicate that they're pursuing a more realistic art style than their typical fare though, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Game Freak do make good action games, so I certainly reckon they could do a good action-adventure title given the time & budget...

Either way, going with a western publisher (and Private Division/Take Two of all picks!) is a choice, I'll give them that.  Certainly wasn't on my bingo card at least.

Edited by Dcubed

13 hours ago, Dcubed said:

A new Action Adventure title targeting a 2026 release.  Developed by Game Freak and published by Private Division (part of Take Two).

Damn, given Private Division's publishing record (The Outer Worlds and Hades immediately spring to mind), I'm strangely intrigued by this. For me - now I didn't play Scarlet and Violet, mind you - Pokémon hasn't been about exploration and getting a bit lost since, what, Gen IV caused Game Freak and TPCi to completely overcorrect because some kids kept getting lost in caves? 

Seeing the concept art, my mind immediately went back to Sugimori's original works, which always to me inspired a true sense of adventure in a livelier world, and make me wonder about what Pokémon could have been had they followed the path they were trying to follow vs the corporate-ified generic schlock we so often seem to get. 

First-3.png

Pretty crazy lineup Private Division have got at the moment: Kerbal Space Program 2 (releasing this year), a new Middle-Earth game, a new Bloober Team game, a new Moon Studios game, and now a Game Freak game. By far the most interesting division of Take Two, hope this turns out interesting! 

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this