NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
gaggle64

Switch Recommendations Thread

With the Switch proving far more successful than anyone though possible developers are throwing all sorts of things on to it - so much that it's becoming difficult to pick out  what's worth a look and what's not on its e-store. So I thought I'd make a thread specifically to highlight hidden gems and get recommendations from others.

Can anyone recommend me an arcade shooter-type game? There's a few on there like 1945 and a couple of side-scrolling Neo Geo games but I don't know which ones are worth the £5/6 for a quick blast and which aren't. 

Well, after recently setting up a second vertical display just for shmups, from the ACA NEO GEO titles I can recommend the following titles...

Aero Fighters 2

Alpha Mission II

Blazing Star

Last Resort

I've reviewed at least one of them as well, so please feel free to check this out for a more detailed look at Alpha Mission II

n-europe Review

content-2-35153-alphamisioniisidebox.jpg

ACA NeoGeo

Alpha Mission II

Also, from the Switch eShop thread...

On 29/07/2017 at 11:05 AM, S.C.G said:

Samurai Shodown... ;) (though it depends what fighting game you're looking for really)

They are both decent for different reasons, get Fatal Fury Special and King of Fighters '98... see which you like. :)

As for Metal Slug or Shock Troopers... the former is a purely side-scrolling Run 'N Gun title, while the latter is a Top-Down/Side-On, Run 'N Gun title with a bit more freedom of movement, both are excellent. :D 

Soccer Sidekicks... :blank: well, it's currently the only Football game available on the Switch :p  arguably it's probably the best we'll ever see as well, it is supposed to be famed for its excellent gameplay so I'd say buy it.

Yes... Alpha Mission II, Blazing Star, Last Resort and Aero Fighters 2 (out on Thursday) basically all of the shooters, if you really like shooters, if you don't then... What's wrong with you? :blush: But they are all good.

Aside from that, Magical Drop II is an ESSENTIAL purchase, one of the best Puzzle games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. :peace:

I hope this helps. :) 

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is still the eShop game that stands out for me.  The quality is up there with anything.
  • Metal Slug is the Neo Geo series I keep returning to.  Truly brilliant.  I'd recommend playing them in order - get the 2nd if you still want more after the 1st, and the 3rd if you want more after the 2nd, but be aware that the yet-to-be released Metal Slug X is considered a superior remix of 2.
  • Shock Troopers is well worth a blast.
  • Aero Fighters 2 is my pick of the genre you were asking about - it's easy to play, with no real negative side.  Blazing Star plays OK, but I personally don't like pre-rendered visuals, and Alpha Mission II is not bad but has an overly complex power-up system.  I've not played Last Resort but heard you have to start each level from the beginning if you fail.

Also keep an eye out for Sine Mora EX and Earth Atlantis, which both look promising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as unmentioned shooters on Switch go, I'd give a shout out to Shock Troopers 1 & 2 and Strikers 1945.  I think the rest of the good ones have all been mentioned (and yes, they're all well worth your time! Especially the Metal Slug games! :peace:)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this