NEurope
Cube

The Avengers (and other Marvel games)

Decided to put a last minute preorder in for this as I could get it cheaper from The Game Collection’s eBay page. Figured it was ok to get it now as I’ll still be able to claim the free PS5 upgrade for it.

Started playing the story today and I’m really enjoying it so far. They’ve done an amazing job with the voice acting and characters. I’m already loving Ms Marvel, a character that I never really connected with in the comics.

• Like 2

I started playing this on Monday evening. I was looking for something mindless and easy going and this seemed like it would fit the bill. I'm about 5 hours into it so far.

On September 4, 2020 at 5:22 PM, Happenstance said:

I’m already loving Ms Marvel, a character that I never really connected with in the comics.

I've not had anything to do with her in the comics so this was kinda nice seeing the story revolve around a new character. I think she's great in the cutscenes but when actually playing the game it's another matter. It's one of those cases where the character keeps talking to themselves and just won't shut up.

I'm just playing this for the narrative and I'm quite invested in what has played out in the 5 hours I've put into it. You can the story was probably done before the Fox/Disney deal had been made. In the game they are pushing the Inhuman angle, which was what Marvel/Disney were doing when they didn't have the movie rights to the X-Men franchise.

Not sure whether a platinum is on the cards for this yet. I don't really want to play online with it so if I can get all the trophies by myself then I'll probably take a stab at it.

I completed the story/campaign this morning.

Spoiler

EseyYVeXYAAaEjt?format=jpg&name=large

Nothing spectacular but not that bad either.

I think there was a decent foundation to the game that was ruined by them trying to make it a GaaS product. What they should have done is just focused on creating a single player/co-op narrative driven game that features various characters from the Marvel universe.

A lot of the systems in the game just become a total mess once unlocked. You have daily challenges, different types of gear, different ways to level up, standard character levels, hero levels, different vendors...it becomes far too convoluted and I was quite happy to ignore it all and just concentrate on the story.

I do agree with the criticisms that the game got for enemy design and general look of it. It does feel very bland and generic, with the enemies just consisting of AIM robots. The Marvel universe has such rich variety of bad guys that could have been used but instead CD went this route.

Whilst playing the game my thoughts drifted back to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 on the Switch. That game had its issues but at least it had a good art direction that gave the game some personally, not to mention a fantastic roster to play around with.

I don't think the game deserves the hate it got from various outlets but it also doesn't deserve a heap of praise either.