NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jonnas

Freedom Planet

So... I noticed that this game hasn't been talked about around here. That's odd, I thought we had plenty old-school fans.

Freedom Planet

Starting its development as a Sonic fangame, this little gem went farther than anybody expected. It's a genuinely good game, and a pretty great throwback to acton-platformers from the Mega Drive & Sega Saturn era (in fact, the whole game has a very Treasure feel to it). I've seen people comparing it to Shovel Knight in that regard, too.

The main character is Lilac, a purple Chinese Dragon* who plays a lot like Sonic. She can run fast and make loops, but rather than a spin dash, she has a rocket boost in the vein of Sparkster (from Rocket Knight Adventures), among other things.

*She resembles a Chinese Dragon exactly as much as Sonic resembles a Hedgehog.

You can also play as other characters: Carol the Wildcat was designed to feel like a Capcom character (mostly Mega Man Zero) and Milla the Puppy was designed to feel like a Nintendo character (not a single one in particular, but I can feel shades of Kirby, Yoshi and SMB 2).

Regardless of who you choose, the levels were designed to handle fast-paced gameplay and Treasure-style action, and I'd say the developers were pretty successful at that. The game is just pure fun through and through, and it's very well-polished, too (there are achievements for sequence-breaking, bonus dialogue if you stall a boss fight, and even Pixar-style bloopers).

Also, incredibly catchy music:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

If there's anything I could consider a flaw in the game, it's the unusually lengthy cutscenes between levels, but you can always skip them if you wish. I do enjoy watching the cheesy plot, though.

The game was only released on PC and Nintendo platforms, and I highly recommend it. There's also DLC on the way (two additional playable characters) and a recently-announced sequel. Who knows how far the former fangame can go?

Edited by Jonnas

I played the demo on the Wii U that was given out during E3 and really enjoyed it. Sadly, the game release on the Wii U got hindered by a few bugs and the release got pushed further and further back. When it did eventually arrive, the release schedule was too crowded for me to pick it up. I still want to play it, I just have no idea when I will get around to buying it.

Sign in to follow this