NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ash

HeadUnits (Car steroeo's)

I have just got my first car a Pugeot 106 (52 Reg) and im looking for a Memory Card/USB Head unit, there is only 3 that i can find, for under £160, the one i like the best is this http://www.vdodayton.com/default2_and_fz_menu=cd_2604_mp3x.aspx But i have no idea if it is any good, you people with a lot more expertise in this department, could you please give me some advice on this unit, or is there others which you would recommend? by the way, will this even fit in my car?

Yes, i was looking at that one too, seen 3 of them, which all have different makes on it, would that make any difference to the unit itself, ive been looking at the reviews on amazon for that headunit, but everyone seems to hate it

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009MZ7P2/ref=pd_rhf_p_2/203-1627977-8643101 read the reviews on that, if you lazy heres one

"- CD often fails. The only cure for this is a complete hard reset, which loses all my radio stations. Mean time between failures at the moment is about 10 minutes. Not good. I have gone over to using a USB stick instead of CDs.

- Occasionally switches to max volume. The cure for this is to turn it off, as the volume control does not respond when this happens. This is potentially dangerous if in busy traffic.

- Does not remember its position in a long track. The unit seems to forget where it was if it is more than about 5 minutes into a track. Given that I like progressive rock and electronic music, where 20 minute tracks are common, this is a problem. I also like to listen to podcasts of radio programs, which can be anything up to an hour long.

- Audio amp picks up noise from the CD drive.

- The display is very bright. As an experiment, I was able to throw quite clear shadows onto my car's roof with my hands last night.

- Radio reception is poor. - Cannot turn off TA (traffic announcements). These inevitably occur during the final punchline of Radio 4's 6:30 comedy programs, which is very annoying."

Which has put me of that model, there is also this one too http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009N8KEQ/ref=pd_rhf_p_2/203-1627977-8643101

Out of the 3 i have posted, which one seems the best in you opinion, ignoring the price factor.

Would i need someone to install it aswell, or do you think i could be able to do it?

H&B apparently make pretty sound stereos. So that looks like a bargain at £77.49.

If you're technically minded then installing a car stereo would be a doddle, but they have made them alot easier to install over the last 5 years or so.

All you'll probably need is to go into Halfords and pick up a convertor plug for your Pug which'll then connect to the stereo that you buy. Or you may be able to connect it straight to it, as the connectors will all match.

Seeing as your car is quite new, then I would say it'll be the latter and it wouldn't take too long to do yourself.

Goodluck.

It'd probably be shit...........that's the risk....

What would you recommend then?

I have heard of VDO they make some good in car stuff! and even if it does break u also have a years warrenty with it! or the other option is to go with a name brand stereo that has a AUX in and plug an MP3 player in that, you will lose some of the sound quailty, I have done this in my car.

JVC, Pioneer, Sony (Xpolod) are all pretty reliable and you can pick up some models for a very reasonable price. Most of my mates have one of these three as a head unit. The most important thing is probably to make sure you have a set of speakers that wont distort as alot of factory fitted speakers can't handle having a beefy aftermarket head unit strapped to them.

If you want to get better there's the more expensive Clarion and Alpine units.

Sign in to follow this