N-Europe

Minecraft: Story Mode (Telltale)

Happenstance

That's a word not a reason. :P

EDIT: And numbers apparently. haha

You stated my reason ;). That was the short story. (Too short apparently, hence the numbers)

Long story, to perhaps satisfy your curiosity:

When I first saw Minecraft, I was interested. The simple artstyle actually appealed to me back then, and the videos I saw of the normal survival mode looked interesting.. But I got bored after several let's play videos. Really bored. Lost interest.

Then came all the sandbox hype.. That's when I was starting to get a dislike for Minecraft. The simple artstyle works for the game, but it doesn't work for the sandbox. I facepalm everytime I see people building things with cubes that could really use some other shapes (or at least.. lots of smaller blocks.. you know, how anti-aliasing works). And it's exactly as you say, it's basically digital Lego, only even more limited. I think people should play with Lego instead, and if you really need something digital, Lego actually has software, and if you build something with that, you can actually order the physical bricks and build it -- looked it up right now, the software is still available, but you can't directly order your stuff anymore, though you can still buy bricks individually --. Anyway, I don't have experience with typical multiplayer sandbox building games, but not being digital is not an disadvantage for normal Lego in my opinion. But you can guess my reaction when Lego announced Minecraft sets.

I get why people want to have a multiplayer sandbox building game, I'm not really in that scene, but as far as I know, there aren't many real alternatives, apart from the newly announced Lego sandbox game. Personally though.. I'd rather buy and build Lego sets.

Then finally, the Telltale Minecraft announcement.. I've wanted Telltale to do an original IP. This almost is, since Minecraft, as far as I know, doesn't really have much of a backstory, and this game won't use it I think. So it's an original story with a franchise tacked on I can do without. Telltale games aren't known for their fantastic graphics (technical, not talking about artstyle), and this game is making even less of an effort to look good. So I had pretty much decided to skip this game.

Then I saw the voice cast (well I saw Happenstance created a thread for the game, but instead of clicking it, I went to Telltale's blog expecting some updates), and I know the writing will be good. These are two things you can rely on with Telltale games, so now I may get it after all, despite being connected to Minecraft.

Voice cast by the way, are established comedians and (Telltale) voice actors:

Patton Oswalt, Brian Posehn, Ashley Johnson, Scott Porter, Martha Plimpton, Dave Fennoy, Corey Feldman, Billy West, and Paul Reubens

• 3 months later...

Did anyone pick this up yet? I was thinking of getting it eventually, but not right away.. But now I'm thinking this may be a great appetizer for the Tales from the Borderlands (20-10) and Game of thrones (end of the month) finales. If I hear some good comments, I may get it this week.

Edited by Sméagol