NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 29/08/2014 - 12pm

Hhhhmmm... to get myself a big Xmas gift?

So where's a good Aussie site to import to here...how much is shipping likely to cost and could I get stung with an import tax?

Yes the likelihood is we will have to pay duty as outside EU.

Edited by khilafah

Hhhhmmm... to get myself a big Xmas gift?

So where's a good Aussie site to import to here...how much is shipping likely to cost and could I get stung with an import tax?

Couldn't tell you about shipping because that'll depend on the seller you buy it from.

As for import tax? It... depends...

It's a game of chance really. You might get stung, or you might not. Not everything gets caught by customs...

In general, the larger and heavier the product, the more likely it is to get hit by import duties from customs. Generally I find that I never get hit by customs when importing games, but consoles are generally very hit and miss. Now since this is a handheld, the box is going to be small and the console is pretty light, so you might get away with it...

It also depends on where you're buying it from. If you're buying from someone who imports it into the UK before shipping it off to you, then there's no chance of being hit by customs charges (since they would be taking care of that for you on your behalf), but if you're buying directly from an Aus retailer, then the risk is obviously there.

Also, if you're buying it from a large chain of stores, like JbHifi for instance (yes they ship internationally), you're probably more likely to be hit by customs because they'll put the correct valuation of the product on the shipping form and they wont be marking it as a gift (which generally makes it less likely to be looked at by customs), but rather they'll mark it as a purchase - because that's the professional thing to do.

It's generally a good idea to expect it to happen, but just hope it doesn't ::shrug:

Doesn't Australia have a different eShop to the rest of Europe, or will it depend on your NNID settings?

Doesn't Australia have a different eShop to the rest of Europe, or will it depend on your NNID settings?

Aus 3DS consoles can access the UK/EU eShops just fine. It's the NNID settings that determine which shop you use (likewise, you can access the Aus eShop from a UK/EU console too).

So if you're importing, just make sure that the first thing you do is a system transfer from your old console and you'll be fine :)