N-Europe

MLB 14: The Show

Cookyman

Ok I'm not a baseball fan - it's glorified rounders right? but bloody hell check the graphics out on this bad boy!

MLB 14: The Show is already out on PlayStation 3, and Sony has released a video showing the technology being used for the PlayStation 4 version, you know, if you’re holding out for that version.

The video features a look at the game’s new lighting engine, the increased poly-count, specular maps, better crowd details, better grass and much more.

MLB 14: The Show is out May 6.

I was a fan of the sport years ago but gave up on it for a while. That was until I finally discovered the MLB: The Show franchise last year, not only did it reignite my interest in the sport, it really put me off of other sports games because IMO no other sporting franchise comes close to capturing it's subject matter as this does. I exclude the NBA2k series in that statement as that's one sport I just can't get on with.

As for The Show 14, there's no denying that it looks absolutely stunning and if it maintains the same level of realism and immersion that previous games have done (given SDS's track record there's no reason it shouldn't) it should be an absolute must-buy for anyone with even the slightest interest in the sport.

With that said, I'm not picking it up this year. Largely because I'm trying to give up picking up annual sports updates (even great ones like this) and I'm still on the PS3 so any improvements will likely be marginal. I'd also be reluctant to upgrade to the PS4 for this because, outside of inFamous (which I don't consider a system seller), there's little else on the console that currently interests me. When I do eventually trade up though, The Show will be one of the first games that I will pick up.

It's in uncanny valley a bit isn't it :p I can imagine in 20 years people will look back and say "look at this crap we used to think was the pinnacle of realism"

Not that it doesn't look gorgeous.

Unfortunately, it's still baseball...