NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

Language flashcard

Hey, Just an idea, see if enough people are interested.

Being N-Europe, I thought this might be an interesting idea.

I assume we have a number of native speakers of various languages on here, and thought that it could be interesting to make vocabulary flashcards.

Here's an example of my Idea

Pestneb

A

English > French > Spanish > Italian > Finnish

Hello > Bonjour

Red > Rouge

House > Maison

Game >

Road >

Tie >

Shelf >

To look > Regarder

To go > Aller

Wall

My name is to identify the card, just in case someone else posts another "A" card.

"A" is just a reference to this particular flashcard. All languages are examples.

I may have posted this with just 10 words I would like to know in French. A French native comes along, fills in the blanks.

But if say a Spaniard comes along, they can give me examples of those same words in Spanish... Then the flash card is useful to anyone able to speak English/French/Spanish, and wants to learn vocab in one of the other languages.

Just thinking this could work as a way to learn vocabulary, kinda wiki vocabulary. English perhaps should be the first language, simply because it makes sense that most users on this board understand it.

Maybe people could post which language they are most interested in developing, and natives could help them through pm's etc?

I could happily help out with a few Chinese words if it was kept simple. Not the characters though, oh no.

Would those flashcards be things that we have in our sigs?

I was thinking more along the lines of keeping it in this thread as a reference...

And Iun, if you could offer any Chinese vocab that would be great

Pestneb

A

English > French > Spanish > Italian > Finnish

Hello > Bonjour > Hola

Red > Rouge > Rojo

House > Maison > Casa

Game > Jeu > Juego

Road > ... > Estrada

Tie > Cravat > Gravata

Shelf > ... > Estante

To look > Regarder > Mirar

To go > Aller > Ir

Wall > ... > Pared

So, seeing as I know some French, and I speak Spanish fluently, I could fill out part of this (but surely vocabulary is the easiest thing to look up, when learning a language?)

My language proficiency goes: Portuguese > English > Spanish > German > French

but surely vocabulary is the easiest thing to look up, when learning a language?

A good point, perhaps it would be a better idea to use short phrases.

That would also allow, for example, cases/genders to be demonstrated a bit, in languages where that applies.

True enough. What type of phrase, then? I suppose most language-learners already know the stock phrases ("What will you order?", "The check, please.", "Could you tell me how to get to [place]?", etc.)

True enough. What type of phrase, then?

Any phrase you would like to learn in a specific language, or feel could be useful. Those stock phrases could be interesting, just to see how natives would translate them.

English > Danish

hello > goddag (literally "goodday"), hej ("hi", pronounced the same way)

red > rød

house > hus

game > spil

road > vej

tie > slips

shelf > reol (the entire bookshelf), hylde (the part on which a single row of books stands)

to look > at se, kigge

to go > at gå (to physically walk), rejse (to travel)

wall > væg

"What will you order?" > "Hvad ønsker De at bestille?" ("What do you wish to order?")

"The check, please." > "Må jeg bede om regningen, tak?" ("May I ask for the check, please?")

"Could you tell me how to get to [place]?" > "Kunne De fortælle mig vejen til [sted]?" ("Could you tell me the way to [place]?")

(I've posted the most common phrases and then translated them. "De" is the more formal pronoun when addressing people, but "du/I" (singular/plural) is more common nowadays.)

Might as well fill it to the best of my abilities.

English > Portuguese > Spanish > German > French

Hello > Olá > Hola > Hallo > Bonjour

Red > Vermelho > Rojo > Rot > Rouge

House > Casa > Casa > Haus > Maison

Game > Jogo > Juego > Spiel > Jeu

Road > Estrada > Estrada > Straße > ...

Tie > Gravata > Gravata > Krawatte > Cravat

Shelf > Estante > Estante > Regal > ...

To look > Olhar > Mirar > Sehen > Regarder

To go > Ir > Ir > Gehen > Aller

Wall > Parede > Pared > Wand > ...

Sign in to follow this