Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Job Interviews

Beast

I got an interview for a place called Hollisters and Co on the weekend and I was all happy and excited because after the last time I had interviews, things could only get better.

So I go in there with SERIOUSLY LOUD BOOMING MUSIC, so loud I couldn't hear myself think. I thought it was a nightclub but it's a clothes shop (I've handed my CV in to so many places, I forget sometimes).

So I remembered the manager who I handed my CV to and shook his hand, now I thought we'd go into an office away from the music so we could talk. Did we? Did we heck! We stayed on the shopfloor where the loud music was to have the interview. Now before I continue, my hearing isn't exactly fantastic as it is and before anybody asks why I went for the job even though there's loud music, it's because I'm that desperate for the hours.

Continuing on, the manager asks me something and I can't understand a word he is saying. He repeats said question and I can lip-read a little (he asked "What job are you doing now?") so I shouted what I wanted to say and he couldn't hear me properly so I had to repeat myself.

So he nods and smiles and writes something down. He asked (I think) what I knew about retail so I shouted I worked in British Home Stores where I was surrounded by clothes and shoes so I know my way around. He couldn't hear a word I said so I asked if we could move the interview into another room (three times). He said he couldn't and, to my regret (well, kind of), I shouted that I couldn't hear anything he was saying and that I don't think I'd be good working there, shook his hand and walked away.

It was probably the worst interview I ever had, no exaggeration.

I told my friend at work the next day about it and she didn't believe I had the interview there. I asked why and apparently it's hard to get into there because you need to have a certain look and that I should have stuck it out. I told my best friend who don't know anybody from work and she was shocked as well and said the same thing, that you have to have 'the look' to get in there, whatever that means, and that I should have carried on because it's difficult to get into that place. Now I feel like crap because I've just turned down a potential job but I think I did the right thing because I couldn't hear the manager so how am I supposed to hear the customers? Do you guys think I did the right thing?

Yeah, it does.

I don't get what this look is though. I didn't notice anything different...:confused:

From my limited experience with the horrible place they like to employ 'good looking' folk purely for vanity reasons.

I'm with Flink you've dodged a bullet.

From my limited experience with the horrible place they like to employ 'good looking' folk purely for vanity reasons.

I'm with Flink you've dodged a bullet.

Really? That's awful! It's cool they think I'm good-looking but I wouldn't work for a company like that, that sounds bad and completely unfair. How have they got away with this? Also, why would they only employ 'good-looking' people? I'm not going to shop more if they look good or not but I would if the product is good. This doesn't make sense to me...

Really? That's awful! It's cool they think I'm good-looking but I wouldn't work for a company like that, that sounds bad and completely unfair. How have they got away with this? Also, why would they only employ 'good-looking' people? I'm not going to shop more if they look good or not but I would if the product is good. This doesn't make sense to me...

You're...not entirely on the money. I've passed a Hollister store where they've had models standing outside. I vaguely recall one time a man who was ripped to shit. Abs showing and everything. Women were getting their pictures done with him. From what I've heard and seen, they only employ skinny, beach body type people to work there. It must have been the one in Cardiff where the men who were working at the store were walking around topless.

Aside from that, the clothes are absolute shit. Typical rubbish with the Hollister label running through the middle of it. No style, nothing interesting. You're paying for the name. I hate the fact that the outside of the store is far more interesting than the inside of it and that it's so fucking dark in some of their stores. I hate their brand, I hate their style of clothes, I hate everything about that place.