N-Europe

Stupid network (printer related)

bencallis

Yesterday I bought the D-Link DSL-904 adsl router , set it up fine was surfing the internet on other pc's within 10 minuites. Today I came to set up the printer. The printer is located downstairs and is connected to the router via ethernet cable. I set it up the other pc's find it send the file of to print. It says its printing but nothing happens.

When I print from the computer downstairs (that is conected to the printer via usb) all is fine :angry: .

Please help , Thanks.

printernetworking8qg.gif

Are you sure that router acts as a print server? It sounds as if the router isn't sending the instructions to the printer. I can't remember how to do this but it's something like right clicking on the printer, then go to sharing and allow sharing and then on your other computer change the printer to the one connected to your PC and not the router (it might be called something else even though its the same printer).

Hopefully you've done this yourself but just to double check.

Go to your Printers and Faxes and make sure you give your printer a Sharename on the computer your Printer IS connected.

Then on the computer that isn't connected to the printer go to your Printers and Faxes and click to add a new printer, from there make sure you pick the "A network printer....", click next and from here click on the "connect to this printer.." option and in the box below type in something like this: \\ComputerconnectedtoPrinter\Printer.

Also make sure you have printer and file sharing enabled in your software firewall.

Hopefully you've done this yourself but just to double check.

Go to your Printers and Faxes and make sure you give your printer a Sharename on the computer your Printer IS connected.

Then on the computer that isn't connected to the printer go to your Printers and Faxes and click to add a new printer, from there make sure you pick the "A network printer....", click next and from here click on the "connect to this printer.." option and in the box below type in something like this: \\ComputerconnectedtoPrinter\Printer.

Also make sure you have printer and file sharing enabled in your software firewall.

Yeah done that, Its driving me mad. I can share files between the computers no problem.

So let me get this straight, You have your printer connected to your other PC that is connected to the router? Or do you have the printer connected directly to the router?

Also try to print something that isn't that massive in size. ~30 Mb of is a bit much for testing purposes. It takes awhile to be sent to the printers memory.

So let me get this straight, You have your printer connected to your other PC that is connected to the router? Or do you have the printer connected directly to the router?

Also try to print something that isn't that massive in size. ~30 Mb of is a bit much for testing purposes. It takes awhile to be sent to the printers memory.

Dlink router connected to the pc via ethenet cable and the pc is conected to the printer via usb. Rest of computers wirelessly connected.

Thanks

You're nighbours are probably wondering why pages of wierd random stuff is coming out of their printer :heh:

hahahah...

Anyways... Your setup is like this?:

os.jpg

So.. what OS is the PC with the printer? I think that is where the problem is...

One more thing: Lol, your Printer's name is EPSON Stylus... Nice! =P

Hi

A little update I think I have found the problem , as I have now got it working via my laptop which is on xp. As under printing preferences on the laptop it has it under local port and on 2000 I cant seem to get that. I will get some images later.

I found this but am not sure if it is any help? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q264039/

Thanks for all you help , so it seems the problem is windows 2000 does any one no how to help thanks.

diagram1nr.th.jpgdiagram1nr.th.jpg