NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dannyboy-the-Dane

Problem with Java

I've been having issues with Java lately. Not with running it, but with installation. When Java tried updating a while ago, it said a file was corrupted. This happened the next few times it tried to update, so I decided to uninstall it and install the new version on its own, but it couldn't finish the uninstall; it's just stuck at a certain point and not getting anywhere. I've had the Java add-on for Firefox disabled for a while because of a security risk, but I don't know if that's related.

Any ideas?

Try rebooting if you haven't done that yet (might sound obvious but a lot of people forget).

When java installs it puts most of its files in C:\Program Files\Java, and a few in system32. It also adds some stuff to the registry making it the default for java-related things. I'd try deleting Java's installation files myself. i.e. delete the folder C:\Program Files\Java. Then delete java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe from system32 (probably the ones failing to delete). If you felt like getting rid of the registry stuff then ccleaner but I think you should be able to just install java again at this point.

Oh, this is a problem that has persisted for a while now (just haven't got around to do anything about before now), so the laptop's been rebooted several times.

Thanks for the tips, I'll try them out. :)

Tried downloading the installer for your old version and try re-installing/repairing?

Found this tool which removes old Java version: http://www.tothepc.com/archives/uninstall-remove-java-runtime-environment-jre-old-versions/

Someone also recommended Revo Uninstaller: http://revo-uninstaller.en.softonic.com/

Not used either program myself, but give them a go if you want.

Also try what heroicjanitor suggested and delete the files yourself, although I would rename them just in case deleting makes it worse.

Try rebooting if you haven't done that yet (might sound obvious but a lot of people forget).

When java installs it puts most of its files in C:\Program Files\Java, and a few in system32. It also adds some stuff to the registry making it the default for java-related things. I'd try deleting Java's installation files myself. i.e. delete the folder C:\Program Files\Java. Then delete java.exe, javaw.exe and javaws.exe from system32 (probably the ones failing to delete). If you felt like getting rid of the registry stuff then ccleaner but I think you should be able to just install java again at this point.

So I deleted the Java folders and the three system32 files. Then I tried installing again, but got the following message:

Downloaded File C:\Users\Daniel Blom Paulsen\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.7.0_13\java_sp.dll is corrupt.

I've had this message before while trying to re-install Java, so I found the Sun folder and deleted it completely (since it only contained the Java folder). Then I started up the installation again, and everything went fine, but then, just like before, nothing happens. When I open up the process list I can see the intallation file process still running, but it's just not getting anywhere.

So I deleted the Java folders and the three system32 files. Then I tried installing again, but got the following message:

Downloaded File C:\Users\Daniel Blom Paulsen\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\jre1.7.0_13\java_sp.dll is corrupt.

I've had this message before while trying to re-install Java, so I found the Sun folder and deleted it completely (since it only contained the Java folder). Then I started up the installation again, and everything went fine, but then, just like before, nothing happens. When I open up the process list I can see the intallation file process still running, but it's just not getting anywhere.

Hmm according to their site it is a known problem and the solution is to use the offline installer.

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/error_installshield.xml?printFriendly=true

Yes! It finally installed properly and is now working again! :D Thank you so much! :)

The only problem now is that Minecraft can't launch:

Launch4j

The registry refers to a nonexistent Java Runtime Environment installation or the runtime is corrupted.

Den angivne sti blev ikke fundet. [The indicated path was not found.]

Any ideas how to fix that?

So the registry is pointing to the wrong place, because it wasn't updated probably. Quickest way to fix it would be to run regedit and change the keys to point to your jre.

Capture-3.png

Click the key then edit > modify.

Your java folder is probably in the same place as mine, just go there on the file system first to be sure.

Or if you don't want to do that, then I would uninstall java, use ccleaner to remove invalid registry entries, and then reinstall it. That should work too.

Ah, right, of course. I remember doing that for another program once. Should've thought of that. :heh: Thanks again! :)

I guess the problem is that all the registry entries show the 6.17 version of Java, which is a bit strange considering I just installed the latest, i.e. 7.13. But anyway, I've corrected the paths for the runtime registry entries, so Minecraft is now working again. :)

Sign in to follow this