NEurope
Beast

The Future Could Be Free-To-Play....At a Cost

I'd just like to point out that most of these examples don't even fit in to the freemium model. Paying for reloads? Paying for the next level? The whole point of freemium is that you can play for free, but can pay to get better perks/items/weapons etc. Those examples you can't play for free, that's just a delayed payment, more akin to an arcade game for free.

Let's use BF as an example. Under a freemium model you would still be able to play it without paying a penny. However you would most likely have the option to pay for better weapons, more health, better equipment etc. So you could pay for free, but you would be seriously disadvantaged. Although they may allow you to pay for things which you can unlock through experience. Lots of games do this, meaning you aren't necessarily disadvantaged as a free player, but it will take you a lot longer to get to the same point. I'd like to point out that BF3 already offers this, you can buy unlocks that would normally take you hours of gameplay.

In fact it looks like they've now launched BF3 Premium, which appears to give you extra items and upgrades, more assignments, higher queue priority, early access to DLC etc. http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/premium/

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Essentially like legalised/condoned WoW gold.

I personally don't agree with the system past cosmetic boosts (outfits/customisation). Competition between online players can be seriously dented if there's the ability for players to pay their way up.