NEurope
Jonnas

Another Code: R - A Journey into the Lost Memories

So, I've searched for a thread about this game, but found none. Might as well create it myself.

anothercoder.jpg

After playing Another Code on the DS, I was curious about its sequel. The previous game worked as a major introduction to several clever features and puzzles of the DS, with a well written story to accompany it.

I initially suspected this would do something similar for the Wii, but I didn't expect this much of a leap forward. The music is less repetitive, there's a different approach to the plot, the puzzles remain as clever as before...

The art style didn't look this good in screenshots, but the characters are really expressive, too. Certain dialogue choices, while useless (I think) are very amusing (Oh, when Elizabeth asked about Ashley's age :laughing:)

And something that had bothered me before, but I'm finding more and more ingenious: Ashley isn't a kleptomaniac. She only takes stuff from their place when it's relevant.

Sure, it's weird that you have to make a trip to fetch an item you could've picked up the first time around, but... It actually prevents you from simply using every item at your disposal to solve a traditional point&click puzzle! You actually need to remember the places you've been exploring. The photo mechanic is excellent for this type of gameplay, too.

But really, the reason I made this thread is because I'm stuck at a puzzle :heh:

So, here I am, trying to start the clock. I've read the clues, and I figured, the key order is moon-sword-rose. I'm basing myself on the superimposed paintings.

Again with the superimposed paintings, I turn the keys 5-8-10 times, but it doesn't work.

Since that drawing in the book has to mean something, I tried 5-5-5, 12-12-12 and 9-9-9 as well (clues pointed to these numbers, but not an order). None of these worked.

So, what am I missing, here? I don't outright want the solution, but a clue, a nudge in the right direction would be nice.

Thread here:

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22811&highlight=Code

But it has been 2 years since there was a post in there. Still fantastic game this. Loved the DS original and enjoyed this one even more. Haven't played through it in a while so may turn the Wii on for the first time in like 7 months and give it a whirl. Nothing else on the Wii to play right now anyway so might as well :D

As for the puzzle you're stuck on:

If I've remembered it correctly, you need to rotate one of the pictures so that the hand starts at 5 as it's mentioned somewhere that that is where the hand needs to be pointing. That'll give you the correct number of turns for each key then.

Edited by Ganepark32

Well, no wonder I didn't find it, it still had the working title :heh:

Thanks for the tip about the puzzle :) I had forgotten that feature was there in the first place :heh:

Ah, Another Code:R... One of my favourite games of all time, definitely. I absolutely love it.

I've been meaning to replay it, actually, but I'm just too busy these days. Hopefully I can find time sometime soon...

Fuck, this is CING material is it not?

I got to slap down Another Code DS on my backlog before I start with this.

Phew, just beat it. Pretty good, even if a couple of actions near the end angered me, because I knew the solutions, but the game was not registering them for silly reasons.

So, I've noticed sequel hooks here and there:

-Sofia is on the run with data regarding a mysterious memory-related project, which I guess would be the basis of a third game;

-We still don't know what happened with Matt's father. There was a weakened pillar at the clock tower, and Ryan's badge was there, as well. I could see this tying to Sofia and the mystery project.

Sure sounds like they intended to continue the series.

It's a shame Cing went bankrupt (I feel I say this everytime I play something from them :heh:). These two games are some of the freshest point&clicks I've played. Noticeable flaws and odd design choices here and there, but there's stuff that works better than expected, really, and they could still evolve so much more...

Also, love the music:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Hotel Dusk and Last Window have now risen in my priorities...

Regarding a sequel, I'm fairly certain they said at one point that they were working on it and that it'd continue the story of Matt and his father, so yeah...

God, how I wish they hadn't gone bankrupt. I'd do nearly anything to get a third Another Code game...

Nintendo hold the rights to the games/licenses don't they? I think they do anyway. So there's always the slim possibility that they'll bring about another game in the Another Code (or even Hotel Dusk/Last Window) world.

Sadly, though, I suspect that this may be one IP Nintendo leave to gather dust as they didn't release this or the Last Window in America for whatever reason and I don't think those titles sold particularly well here in Europe. Definitely be a shame if we didn't get a new game in either of those series because they are genuinely two of my favourite new IPs from Nintendo.