N-Europe

A subwoofer/speakers which don't take the smeg

EEVILMURRAY

I (Kinda) understand the need for a subwoofer - I actually don't have any idea what it does. But what I do know it does is that it sends pumping bass throughout the house. Occasionally the reason I wear my headphones is that (mostly when drunk) I want to listen to music cranked up to the max and I don't want to disturb the family, but the subwoofer seems to have the sound containing properties of something that can't contain sound well.

I could take out speakers/headphones out the jack and at the right volume I could sing along to the music being played.

Anyone got any suggestions for stuff they have?

I guess it depends on your speakers. Is the sub additional or part of a set, where the other speakers cannot put out any bass sounds? I only have two basic speakers on my comp, which produce everything, no sub at all...

The reason why the sub is heard everywhere is that it boosts the low frequencies, i.e. the bass. Since the wavelength is much longer than with higher frequencies, bass sounds have no trouble going through walls etc. So if you're using one, chances are it will be heard in other rooms / apartments as well.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/music/questions/stereo.html

I've got a cheap set of 2.1's with a sub, the plus side of it though is that the sub has both volume and bass control on it, so if I wanted(ha!) to turn the bass down to pretty much nil, I can. Never do, though.

Mine too are Labtecs, can't find them anywhere to buy anymore though. Does your sub definitely not have any sort of seperate control for the bass so you can turn it down?

Nope, it has 3 fixed cables, one leading to the plug, one that goes into the PC the other is the volume control. There's no button/anything on the subwoofer itself. I might turn it upside down so the bass speaker isn't sending sound into the table.

How about Windows (?) sounds settings? There should be a separate audio manager tool for your sound card in the Control Panel, where you should be able to define how many speakers you want to have in your setup...