NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
dazzybee

URGENT - Film Streaming Idea Feedback

Hi guys, so, I'm working with a distributor on a film streaming service idea and just wanted to run it past you guys. Seems to be a lot of film fans on here so wondered if this would be something of interest.

So, it's called The Film Gallery. It is a curated gallery of old films. It will launch between 300-500 films and new content added every month. New galleries so to speak. In a way this is just how it's presented, so there'll be a comedy gallery with all the comedy films, in horror gallery etc.

The films currently are all very old, a lot of quite rare films. So we have loads of short film made by Charlie Chaplain, so we'll have a Charlie Chaplain gallery with his films and his short films in there. With information an history detailed on each one.

We have loads of REALLY OLD horror films, a collection of films made under Nazi Germany that have no official crew because no one wanted to put their names to it.

As well loads of classics from Nosferatu, Metropolis etc.

So basically the idea is a series of galleries presenting films to you, people can create their own galleries (the galleries are presented with the film posters in frames) and then share them on social medias, this can also be your playlist.

We are also having lots of short films and showcasing rising talent.

The service initially will be available on all app stores and the internet. It will have a download option to watch films offline. in the future we are looking to be on anything connected to the internet.

It will cost launch at £1 per month or £10 per year, and what you join at is a lifetime price, so although the service will increase in price, this will stay the same (unless you cancel).

One thing we will be doing pretty soon is partnering with low-mid range film festivals. So for example we will partner with London Rushes Festival and have all of their content on the site for while the festival is running, so people who can't attend the festival can still see the content. We're hoping to have one festival a month, so there is constantly new content.

The other growth we will be doing is having world cinema galleries (which will be newer stuff), so eventually we will buy catalogues so each month showcase cinema from a different country not usually exposed in the mainstream, for example the first is likely to be Nigerian cinema.

We have visual proposals and such which I may bore you with, but as an initial idea, what are your thoughts? Is it something you would be interested in? Any potential pitfalls? Etc.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like a great idea (personally, I don't like old films), especially if some of them are hard to find. I would also think that the kind of people who would be interested in these films are the type who wouldn't scrawl download and torrent sites in order to find what they want.

The only issue I can see is the marketing - getting the message out to the people who would be interested in it.

One suggestion would be to have a "giftable" subscription, aimed at people to buy the service for their parents/grandparents.

Sounds quite interesting. Out of curiosity you need any help?

It sounds like a great idea (personally, I don't like old films), especially if some of them are hard to find. I would also think that the kind of people who would be interested in these films are the type who wouldn't scrawl download and torrent sites in order to find what they want.

The only issue I can see is the marketing - getting the message out to the people who would be interested in it.

One suggestion would be to have a "giftable" subscription, aimed at people to buy the service for their parents/grandparents.

Yeah that's in place. Marketing is a tricky one, but the guy I'm partnering with has lots of PR friends who'll get us editorial in a few national papers, even just a small write up etc. I'm sure it'll help. But yeah, getting the word out there is always hard without massive marketing budgets. We only have a few thousand, don't know whether to get a small box in one of the film magazines, or get pay per click adverts on the film blogs/sites and such. Don't know yet...

Sounds quite interesting. Out of curiosity you need any help?

We always need help, it's a huge undertaking - from market research, to all the films information, to data entry, to testing, to web and database maintenance. We have a bit of team on it. What were you thinking?!

We always need help, it's a huge undertaking - from market research, to all the films information, to data entry, to testing, to web and database maintenance. We have a bit of team on it. What were you thinking?!

Mind if I email you regarding this? If so PM me your email address :)

(or allow me to look in the admin area and find it :p)

Sign in to follow this