N-Europe

CBS buys Giant Bomb!

flameboy

CBS Interactive has acquired Giant Bomb, the videogame site started three years after its founders left (or were fired from) the media company's subsidiary, GameSpot, over controversial circumstances, Gamasutra writes.

It's a bit of a homecoming for Giant Bomb's founders. The site was co-founded in 2008 by GameSpot's former associate editor, Ryan Davis, and former editorial director, Jeff Gerstmann.

Neo Seeker says Gerstmann announced the news via online stream, promising there will be no significant changes to Giant Bomb, either creatively or editorially.

He insisted this was simply the best business decision for the site, and that the extra financial support will let them evolve in ways they never could have independently.

Fan reaction to the move has not been particularly strong, with many feeling the original tone of these Web sites – specifically Giant Bomb – could be lost by the transference of ownership, ITProPortal notes.

This can often be the case with Web sites and online properties, as without the initial creators at the helm, the site's direction can be lost.

http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52722:cbs-acquires-gaming-site-giant-bomb&catid=69

Such crazy news considering all the controvesy that ended up ultimately creating Giant Bomb and for them now to be under the same umbrella (of which John Davison of former 1up fame is like supreme overlord or some bullshit title lol) as Gamespot once again is crazy.

EDIT:

http://www.twitch.tv/gamespot/b/311783658

Awesome interview between John Davison and Jeff Gertshman talking about everything that has happened.

Edited by flameboy

I really love the Bombcast, one of the best podcasts since GFW stopped way back in 2008. Also, if Davison is in charge of whatever faculty of CBS that bought them, then I'm really not too worried, John is a total legend.

Yes he he is a legend. Watching the feature they did he handled it all so well. But yeah I think the Gamespot they left was a very different company and now under Davisons direction I'm sure they will be fine.

Had you not heard about this until now then? I was watching the live feed last week when they announced it, was pretty crazy. Im not worried about anything, all the stuff I love from them seems to be intact. My only worry would be a couple of years down the line when they decide to merge the sites.