NEurope
Yvonne

Drawing 2012

It's draw-a-week! Every week there's a theme. Make some art relating to the theme! It can be any medium, even poop!

Suggest future themes also!

Week 4: weather

Previous themes

week 1: Family

week 2: His Dark Materials

week 3: expressions

tumblr_m08agoj7X11qemvljo1_500.jpg

Edited by Yvonne

Out of interest, how long did it take? It's funny as I was saying to Marcamillian about possibly asking you for something if you had time, and this is genuinely amazing. I've uploaded the lower def to my own feeb, with a link to your tumblr, hopefully shall take some traffic your way!

Nice one Rummy!

Yeah if there's something you want me to draw let me know. Stuff of this level takes 60-90 mins

tumblr_m0b8lriMgz1qemvljo1_500.jpg

Based off another still from "the scar".

I draw every day but I never think any of it is worthy of these threads. Mainly because it's animation.

For example, today I did this.

I'd say that definitely counts! What do you use to make that?

Adobe Flash. It's only 6 seconds from a larger animation I'm making using audio from The Shining.

Also just a question: What does this thread do that the General Gallery, where I usually put my drawings, doesn't?

Edited by Hamishmash

Hmm that's a good point...I could migrate there. Admins what do you think?

It's fine to have it separate, I mean the General Gallery can have more in it than "drawings" but I think there need to be a sort of... mission statement for this threat to make it a separate entity.

Hmm, well it could be the weekly theme thing, like a low energy version of draw-a-day. If you like the idea I'll think of something to start it off

You are way too talented. Simply incredible work!

Cheers!

Ok I've decided I'm going to go ahead with the theme week idea. I'll start us off, but if people have suggestions that'd be cool.

This weeks' theme is "family"

here is a drawing of my great-grandad!

tumblr_m0fxv2BSJx1qemvljo1_500.jpg

I'm going to try and draw something from Northern Lights by Philip Pullman every day. Just quick sketches. To get me in the mood.

tumblr_m0hibvKuvY1r5ejtko1_500.jpg

I’m going to be illustrating a poster for http://doedemee.be/ (or check their tumblr here - http://doedemee.tumblr.com/ )

They want to make a design for the 100 Greatest Novels to help literacy and it all looks like a wonderful project and I want to try my best.

Whenever I get a brief like to delve into the actual world a bit before doing final designs. I like illustrating my take on characters and scenes in quickie sketches.

So expect this blog to feature a number of doodles from the His Dark Materials trilogy in the coming weeks as I finalise a poster design for Philip Pullman’s masterpiece, Northern Lights.

Above is Mrs. Coulter and her nameless, golden monkey daemon.

Great stuff! I loved those books, only read 'em a year or two ago. Now I'm thinking what scene from them would be the coolest to draw...

tumblr_m0jh7pXrDB1qemvljo1_500.jpg

More ancestors!

So I liked the idea of dark materials art...let's have that be next week's theme. I'll dig out the books over the weekend and have a refresher. Something I need to improve at is working without reference, so that's a good chance to do it...

Aww but then you guys will totally destroy all my attempts with your superiority.

tumblr_m0meu8MtvN1r5ejtko1_500.jpg

This is my entry in the D&AD contest to design a cover for indie movie magazine Little White Lies, using one of a select few films from 2011 as a basis.

This was my design for Super 8, inspired by the cabinet artwork from Space Invaders.

I enjoyed working in this style which is quickly becoming one of my preferred methods, but it’s been a long time since I’ve done image composition, which was my main issue.

I would love to get some insight into your process for images like that! Top right feels a little bit empty though.

Today's took a long time and I'm not super happy with it, but it's good enough for now.

tumblr_m0n8obLGjj1qemvljo1_500.jpg

Awesomeness!

Ok, week 2: His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman. Post art on this theme and suggestions for future themes! I will dig out the old books for a refresher.

I listened a bit to the audiobook and came up with this general layout for an image:

lights1.jpg

From the intro scene of Lyra hiding in a wardrobe.

As it happens I took this rad photo of a moth last year and it could be good reference for her daemon:

DSCF7208.jpg

Will develop this idea on the weekend. Fun!

I made some progress but spent most of today digging a ditch, so I will continue this next week. It's coming along, honest!

Also if anyone has a suggestion for the next theme, go for it

here's progress...

2012-03-18_darkMaterials.jpg

Edited by Yvonne

tumblr_m1guu6CAh71qemvljo1_500.jpg

Here's the final of this one. I was listening to the audiobooks (they are awesome, narrated by full cast and author) and thought of a couple other frames that might look cool (most involve Lee Scoresby...)

So, any ideas for #3?