NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
darksnowman

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan

image107.png

New handheld, new EO thread.

Famitsu Info:

- full name is Sekaiju no Meikyuu IV: Densetsu no Kyojin

- staff includes Daisuke Kaneda as director, Nizou Yamamoto as background artist, Shin Nagasawa on monster design, Yuji Himukai as character designer and Yuzo Koshiro on sound

- Jobs revealed: sword man, medic, dancer, and sniper

- this is not the full job list

- includes new casual difficulty

- difficulty can be changed at any time

- due out on July 5, priced ?6,279

We got a first glimpse at Etrian Odyssey IV during the Nintendo Direct broadcast earlier today. Famitsu.com has since posted its own look at the game, with many of the screens and artwork that appeared in this week's issue of Weekly Famitsu.

The images show the game's swordsman class -- one of many jobs you'll find in the game. When you start off the game, you'll create your own character, selecting name, physical appearance and job, and build up a party of five members.

One of the major new features for Etrian Odyssey IV is the switch to full 3D models for monsters. Previously, monsters had been shown as sprites. This is put to good use through the new powerful "F.O.E" enemies you'll encounter in dungeons.

Also a major selling point for Etrian Odyssey IV is the artwork by Nizou Yamamoto, who's worked on Studio Ghibli films. Yamamoto is doing background visual work, some of which you can see below.

From andriasang. (some screenshots here)

Siliconera news:

First Look at EO IV

For the First Time Etrian Odyssey has 3D Monster Models

EO IV Sailing To 3DS With More Approachable Casual Difficulty Level

There was some footage shown during the Nintendo Direct. If and when I track it down, I'll get it posted for you all to enjoy. The chances of ever playing EO IV are between slim and none what with the 3DS stupid region locking but you never know. Let's be optimistic that a European localisation will happen.

23s0r.jpg

: peace:

LET THE HYPE COMMENCE!

Edited by Grazza

Hype + 10!

Hope this gets a UK release can't import this time :( (C'mon NoE/SEGA). Still need to play EOII and III though...

Polygons strike again! I really don't think the enemy graphics are as good as the old 2D ones. On the other hand, the backgrounds are much better and all in all I am very keen for this to be released in Europe.

By the way, did anyone on this forum ever beat the Primevil in the original Etrian Odyssey? Hardest RPG boss I've ever encountered.

Polygons strike again! I really don't think the enemy graphics are as good as the old 2D ones. On the other hand, the backgrounds are much better and all in all I am very keen for this to be released in Europe.

By the way, did anyone on this forum ever beat the Primevil in the original Etrian Odyssey? Hardest RPG boss I've ever encountered.

Hahaha I actually waved a little white flag to that boss in the end... I beat the last boss... was good enough for me since the game was brutal... but man did I love it! I have been desperate for the second part but it's VERY expensive!!! I have jumped to the 3rd game because you can still get that fairly cheap (i got mine for £20)

I LOVE Etrian Odyssey... so very much :)

And I will spit if the 4th one doesn't come out in this country...

Didn't remember you being an EO fan, Deku-Nutz. Glad to hear it buddy. : peace:

Speaking of the original game, did anyone complete that quest that asks you to spend something like eight in game days on a particular floor? Just checking my quest list at Radha Hall and that ones still waiting. :blush:

Hahaha I actually waved a little white flag to that boss in the end... I beat the last boss... was good enough for me since the game was brutal... but man did I love it! I have been desperate for the second part but it's VERY expensive!!! I have jumped to the 3rd game because you can still get that fairly cheap (i got mine for £20)

I LOVE Etrian Odyssey... so very much :)

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I think they were a bit cheeky with the post-game content: a floor where you have to test every square of the grid and a final boss who can potentially OHKO your whole party... Grr.

But, I can't help loving the game too. Graphics and music were spectacular - the atmosphere was through the roof. Just taking your items back to the shop and seeing what new weapons could be forged had more atmosphere to it than most games have in their entirety.

Speaking of the original game, did anyone complete that quest that asks you to spend something like eight in game days on a particular floor? Just checking my quest list at Radha Hall and that ones still waiting. :blush:

Yes, I did. Pretty cool, although I ended up just walking backwards and forwards, over and over again! (It was your footsteps that actually made the time flow.)

Trailer showing off the new classes.

Music samples can be listened to on the official site. Up in the top right corner just make sure sound is set to on and switch between 1-3 to hear em. :hehe:

http://sq4.atlusnet.jp

The more I see, the more I like it.

So, the classes are:

Swordman

Fortress

Nightseeker

Medic

Dancer

Sniper

Runemaster

I'm already planning my team! Front row and back row respectively are going to be...

Swordman, Fortress

Nightseeker, Medic, Runemaster

...Even though I don't really know what they are! I'm assuming either Nightseeker or Runemaster is a mage. I also need to find a space for whichever class is best at gathering items and getting boss drops.

etrian_odyssey_iv_boxart-300x266.jpg

We have boxart!

There's more:

Atlus released the latest screenshots for Etrian Odyssey IV today, showing your home base town of Talsis, a couple of "F.O.E." monsters, two types of dungeons, and Swordsman, Medic and Fortress character classes.

The "two types" of dungeons refers to "dungeons" and "mini dungeons." The former are explored as part of the story via quests that you take from the people of Talsis. The mini dungeons are meant for finding rare items.

Images through this link.

Famitsu scans:

3LS9h.jpgArLBX.jpg

Some class info:

• The Swordman class has attacks like Link Flame (adds fire attribute), Double Strike (two attacks in a row), and Vanguard (defense down/attack up for a number of turns).
  • Medics can restore HP with skills like Healing and After Battle Treatment which automatically restores HP after a battle ends.
  • Fortress is a defense job equipped with Provoke (draw enemies), Line Divide (protect a row), and Revenge Smite (damage boost for a number of turns).

Due out July 5th in Japan.

I still wouldn't mind getting into this series. I played the first one for a bit but got overwhelmed with the amount of options and stuff you could do. I also read that if you don't level your characters right then the game can be a nightmare to play.

Yeah it can be, you can get taken down by normal monsters pretty easily if your not prepared. It was mostly the post game bosses that required the special builds and stuff though, you can get through most of the game fine as long as your team is well balanced.

I still wouldn't mind getting into this series. I played the first one for a bit but got overwhelmed with the amount of options and stuff you could do. I also read that if you don't level your characters right then the game can be a nightmare to play.

I didn't think the main game was too bad, personally. The 5 post-game levels are an endurance test, but I still managed them. The post-game boss though... that's the one thing I didn't manage to beat.

Etrian Odyssey is a game I would like another crack at, this time using the "Retire" function properly, which apparently gives you 6 extra Skill Points if you Retire at Level 70, but just the once. I'd also try and get the rare boss drops, so I could make better equipment.

Yes, I think I could beat it this time... What we need is an Etrian Odyssey I-III Deluxe Pack + a localisation of IV! It's still my most-anticipated 3DS game.

I've just bought a 3rd copy of Etrian Odyssey! The 1st was for me, the 2nd was for a friend and this one is so I can replay it! It is brilliant.

26th February 2013 is the NA release date. It's also going to be seeing a simultaneous eShop release.

"IRVINE, CALIFORNIA -- NOVEMBER 21, 2012 -- ATLUS, a brand of Index Digital Media, Inc., today announced details of the gift with purchase items that will accompany retail versions of the upcoming RPG Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan for Nintendo 3DS. Those that pre-order or pick up the game at retail launch will be treated to a limited edition art book as well as music CD (while supplies last). Etrian Odyssey IV will be available at retail and on Nintendo eShop for digital download on February 26, 2013 across North America.

The art book showcases a variety of colorful imagery from the game. New for the North American audience, illustrator Alexandra Douglass, known for her work on Cloud Factor and the Netrunner collectible card game, will contribute a brand new piece of art inspired by the game's fantasy world and characters. For a two-page preview sample of the art book please visit: http://issuu.com/atlususa/docs/etrian4artbook

The "Rough Drafts & Outtakes" CD gives fans rare access to the famed game composer Yuzo Koshiro's process by providing early arrangements that would be used in creating the final atmospheric orchestrations of Etrian Odyssey IV's musical score. Moreover, the CD includes tracks that did not make it in the final selection of musical themes.

"Fans of the Etrian Odyssey franchise will not want to miss out on this one-of-a-kind collectible for Etrian Odyssey IV," said Tim Pivnicny, Vice President of Sales & Marketing, ATLUS. "The game's bonus items in Japan were extremely popular, and we're excited to bring this unique art book with updated imagery and stunning CD soundtrack to those who get their hands on this title at retail launch next year."

For centuries, the tree Yggdrasil has been a constant presence in the lives of the people of Tharsis. It looms on the horizon, invisible from everywhere in the city, but its roots are in a far-off land where no one has ventured until the Outland Count of Tharsis sponsors an Explorers Guild to reach Yggdrasil and discover its secrets. Prepare to board your skyship and set out into the clouds in search of treasure, glory, and the answer to Tharsis' oldest mystery.

Etrian Odyssey IV brings enhanced graphics and 3D effects, more immersive 3D dungeons, and upgradeable skyships that let players travel and battle among the clouds. Players can utilize 3DS' bottom touch screen to chart out a path and create maps to aid in the team's survival of the dangers that await. The game delivers deep character creation and party customization options, and an all-new casual play option will provide greater accessibility for novice players. Additionally, guild card and character trading functionality will be available through the 3DS StreetPass feature."

http://www.gonintendo.com/content/uploads/images/2012_11/EO4Glamshot.jpg

Nintendolife Review:

"A real sense of exploration and wonder, deeply customisable characters, engaging combat and the sublime satisfaction that comes from proceeding through an adventure using your own, handmade maps — Etrian Odyssey IV wraps all these up in a beautiful, pastel package that dungeon crawling fans will absolutely love. It's still an old-school experience at heart, and players put off by serious difficulty, grinding, or the lack of a character-driven narrative won't find what they're looking for here, but the addition of a Casual mode means anyone taken in by the enchanting road to Yggdrasil will be able to enjoy it at their own pace. For all the time you'll spend carefully mapping your way through this game, it's amazing how easy it is to lose yourself in it."

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/3ds/etrian_odyssey_iv_legends_of_the_titan

IGN Review:

"The first three Etrian Odysseys are great dungeon crawlers, but with their high difficulty and monotony of purpose, they’re very much an acquired taste. Etrian IV matches its hardcore depth to appealing visuals and more inviting design, and in doing so allows the series to transcend niche status. Atlus has crafted a fantastic portable RPG, and the perfect entry point for Etrian newcomers."

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/03/04/etrian-odyssey-iv-review

Sign in to follow this