NEurope
Ashley

Learning Java!

Been looking towards android development myself for a little while but ended up going towards html5/canvas/JavaScript after adobe stopped supporting mobile platforms (though in adding touch controls today I've realised my phones browser doesn't support the <audio> tag).

My brother developed something for Android last year and from what I know he mainly used Android Developers for reference with Eclipse and the android SDK. From what he said the API takes a bit to get hang of but makes sense when you get there.

From my experience of programming (not formal experience) syntax is something you pick up rather than something you study. Find a tutorial to de construct, play around with it, extend it, add your own stuff and see where it breaks.

I think getting my 'hands dirty' will help but at the moment I have so little free time that I'm just reading about syntax so that I have some kind of muddy foundation to build upon by actually constructing stuff.

</mixed metaphor endeth>

Programming really is something you learn by doing though. Going through the material beforehand might help slightly, but you're not going to learn it that way. I would suggest rather than reading over syntax references, use that time to build small programs, I would suggest a few exercises, but I don't know how far you are.

I'm mostly just reading because its all I can do at the moment. i.e. I don't have the time/proximity to a computer to actually do any programming. I will soon, next weekend I promise!

I've put myself into learning Java as well. It's my first programming language but I'm relatively logical so I think I'll be sound. Been trying out some interactive lessons online but I'm not sure how useful I'll find them in terms of really playing around.

One of the guys from work is building a game in Java so I might be able to learn by doing a little bit.