N-Europe

Brian Butterfield! TV News! Must View Thread!

ReZourceman

90s comedy > 00s comedy on the whole.

Don't bother listing me examples of exceptions to the rule... there's tons of comedy thats been great since the 90s. But so many fantastic sitcoms in the 90s which have made me who I am today.

Couldn't agree more. Bottom and Red Dwarf were big parts of my teenage years. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anything funnier than Bottom. Outrageous but still somewhat classy and intelligent. Like most '90s comedy, these two BBC2 sitcoms aimed quite high.

Then we had Shooting Stars, which should be seen in the context of Britpop and TFI Friday. Same goes for The Fast Show (although they're both genuinely good in their own right).

My favourite '90s character of all is Alan Partridge. I've never identified with anything as much as the sitcom "I'm Alan Partridge" (1997), with its portrayal of a bored but agreeable existence in East Anglia. It's like they read my soul.

It's amazing half of those "highlights" came from this weeks episode Grazza.

Blame my memory. :heh:

Is this an in-joke of something?

No. As loathe as I am to explain comedy (you either get it or you don't), the joke here is that Angelos is asking about something only he knows about, but is himself unaware of how obscure it is.

I'm Alan Patridge is such a rare thing... it is utterly, utterly perfect. There is not one miss step (Series 1 at least) or bad character...

What I also love about the Alan Patridge character is he is so consistent. Whether you watch his first cameos on The Day Today or his recent online radio vlog cast things ... he's the same character. And so perfect, original and still hilarious.

I'm Alan Patridge is such a rare thing... it is utterly, utterly perfect. There is not one miss step (Series 1 at least) or bad character...

What I also love about the Alan Patridge character is he is so consistent. Whether you watch his first cameos on The Day Today or his recent online radio vlog cast things ... he's the same character. And so perfect, original and still hilarious.

Yes, he's certainly my favourite character ever, of any kind. I'm Alan Partridge is my all-time favourite programme, although I think Bottom may just beat it for pure belly laughs. I love them both though!

Consistency is the a hallmark of a truly great character like Partridge. The character is so developed that you can imagine how he'd act in any situation.

Also, I think the '90s comedies mentioned in this thread got the balance right between being daring, but still quite classy. Yes, there would be a rude bit when necessary, but they never tried to be offensive or vulgar for the sake of it.

Edited by Grazza

Yeah and here is where I start sounding like an old man when I say I find spunk gags on The Inbetweeners to be unfunny blah blah blah.

But yeah, the whole family can sit and watch Bottom. Adults laugh at the hilarious wordplay, teenagers laugh at the references to sex and stuff like that, and children laugh at Rik Mayall's face.

And everyone laughs at the violence.

Yeah and here is where I start sounding like an old man when I say I find spunk gags on The Inbetweeners to be unfunny blah blah blah.

Thing is, I'm not shocked by that stuff, but comedy is more about alluding to things. Like Rik Mayall scouring the corridor, breathing on his hand and disappearing into the bedroom, actually!

But yeah, the whole family can sit and watch Bottom. Adults laugh at the hilarious wordplay, teenagers laugh at the references to sex and stuff like that, and children laugh at Rik Mayall's face.

And everyone laughs at the violence.

Quite. I remember we all used to enjoy Bottom and discuss it afterwards.

Quite. I remember we all used to enjoy Bottom and discuss it afterwards.

I heard ReZ enjoyed bottom.

ANYWAY. Yeah, shooting stars is just something that never really 'took' me. Maybe it was ahead of its time, though. I do like bob and vic, despite spending 16 years of my life thinking one was t'other. Mainly I knew them for Randall and Hopkirk though, which I quite enjoyed! I like Vic(or is it bob :p?) on panel shows, though.

ANYWAY. Yeah, shooting stars is just something that never really 'took' me. Maybe it was ahead of its time, though.

Probably neither ahead nor behind, just mental. :heh: Sometimes I do wonder whether you have to be a little eccentric to enjoy it.

Mainly I knew them for Randall and Hopkirk though, which I quite enjoyed! I like Vic(or is it bob :p?) on panel shows, though.

Sounds more like Bob, although I don't often watch panel shows.