N-Europe

Professional qualifications

Jamba

Evening all,

So I'm trying to get into IT. Support, network engineering and possibly server admin kind of stuff. I don't have a lot of experience but I'm computer savvy, I find it all genuinely fascinating and have picked up a lot in a 1 month placement with an IT support company.

Now I've been applying for jobs but not much is coming my way. IT is quite competitive and I don't really feel like I have an edge.

So I started to look at getting Microsoft certified, which is relatively standard but is usually expensive. This is something that your company would pay for but would give me proof of knowledge. The course I am looking at would cost me around £1.5k (with some heavy exam costs on top) but it would increase my earning potential (and job potential heavily!).

So what would your thoughts be? Do you have experience with professional qualifications? Are they worth it? Are you MS qualified?

Speak! or type...

I've done unpaid work with an IT support company for a month and have just established a contact with a one man band IT support company who I will be working with 1 day a week.

I haven't seen any internships per se floating around and not a lot of companies want to do them. Why pay someone to learn when you can pay someone else who knows how to do the job already?

A+. if you are looking in terms of hardware qualifications. It's pretty well recognised.

MS certs are always good, but yeah, get a good company to sponsor you to do it.

If you can get into Fujitsu you might be able to get a transfer to Japan and take ms Bluey with you, bet she'd love you for it haha :p

A+. if you are looking in terms of hardware qualifications. It's pretty well recognised.

MS certs are always good, but yeah, get a good company to sponsor you to do it.

If you can get into Fujitsu you might be able to get a transfer to Japan and take ms Bluey with you, bet she'd love you for it haha :p

Haha! That would be awesome :-)

I take it that you are talking about CompTIA A+? I was looking at a course that combine doing that with the following MS MCITP programmes:

• Enterprise Desktop Administrator (Windows 7)
  • Server Administrator (Windows Server 2008)

But it costs £1500 and the exams cost £99 each on top of that, of which there are 5 for the MS stuff alone!

I see my immediate family a lot more than I used to because we all live near each other now but we have a big family get together for everyone from my Dad's side of the family on Sept 10th. This includes a lot of people that I get to see once everyone 10-15 years or so.

Unfortunately due to my work commitments on the weekends, I can't go. No questions asked just a big no.