NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Frozen Synapse

Ok, so Marcamillian bought this on steam, for some silly(or clever) reason it only sells as a two pack and he has gifted his second copy to me probably in return for future unannounced sexual favours. I knew nothing about it, and so I went looking, this video is half hour long, but does quite a nice job of explaining it.

For a brief rundown, it's a turn based strategy game that I've barely dipped my feet into. It's literally turn based though, it consists essentially of a building layout, your dudes randomly placed, and you having to 'plan' the turn, then execute it. You can run sims on what might/will happen, once you're confident you want to do what you want to do, you proceed to essentially lock it in, and I suppose wait for the other person to take their 'turn', then see what happens. Despite calling it turn based, it's actually more along the lines of turn-decision based, each of your decisions are executed simultaneously.

It's hard to explain, and I'm quite shallow into it as I said, but I very much like various aspects of the concept. As previously mentioned, this video is quite nice(even if one does find the guy doing it slightly annoying).

Anyone out there got it? Post up your name and server you're on and we can start having ourselves some little games :)

Don't expect me to be good though, I've only played two campaign missions and failed once!

tl;dr - a game that isn't chess, but possibly captures the strategic essence of it.

this video is half hour long, but does quite a nice job of explaining it.

For a brief rundown, it's a turn based strategy game

No thanks :p

So is this game worth 18€ if I only want to play single-player?

Tbh, so far I'm not sure because I don't know how much single player there is, and I got it for free :p

I think in campaign the maps/structure and mission is fairly consistent, but the placing of yourself and enemies/other guys is random, so it does give something a bit different each time. I think the big focus with it however is supposed to be the multiplayer(not to say it doesn't have good single player, I just haven't done much of either yet).

Well, downloading right now. :D

Have a second copy of the game now, obviously. If a mate doesn't "buy" it from me (I made a deal, if he is interested in the game he can get it for 9€) I might give it away for free to a lucky member :p But first I'll try to sell it :D

Edit: My goodness, the soundtrack is ace.

Edited by drahkon

Nice, how you finding it and whats your name and what server are you on etcetc?

won't work on my computer, damn intergrated graphics card...may still pick it up for the future whilst its part of humble indie bundle.

Picked it up due to the cheap price, I'll give it a go soon and see what I think...

---

I've only played a few games but I actually really like this. It's like 21st century chess.

@Rummy add me The_Peeps

Edited by The Peeps
Automerged Doublepost

That's a fantastic description. 21st century chess indeed! I'll try and get on at some point in the next couple of days, though Xenoblade really is raping my life. Do we both have to be on the same server to add each other? I never really got that.

I think we have to be on the same server to play a game but I always go in UK1 anyway :p not sure about just adding friends

@The Peeps

I didn't see a UK1 when I logged on just now, so I went with UK2 and it said it couldn't find you so maybe we do need to be on same servers :(

It may have been full or something, I'll go on uk2 when I get home tonight and see if I can add/challenge you. The good thing about this game is that you don't have to play it in real time :)

Yeah, I really like that but then you can easily idle out and forget, kinda like mafias! I think my FSynapse name is Rumdumcious, but I look forward to a game or two with you! I'm a bit rusty having not played in a while, so here's hoping you don't obliterate me on the first turn :P

Me and @Yvonne @The_Arbitor @Marcamillian were talking about the game recently and thought how amazing it'd be if you could end up with more than 2 players, although it'd take a bit longer, imagine a 4 man dark map! Also shameless mentions for them to get their asses in here!

Yeah the potential is there for some great team games or 4v4s. Obviously the maps would have to be bigger.

NEW DLC. Offers co-op and much, much more!

I haven't played for a while so I've just re-downloaded the original game (reformatted PC since I last played it) and I'll see if I can get back into it. Apparently if someone who has the DLC (which gives you co-op and other new game modes) they can share it with you... I guess that means if they challenge you, you'll be able to play the new games? Not sure.

@Rummy :p

NEW DLC. Offers co-op and much, much more!

I haven't played for a while so I've just re-downloaded the original game (reformatted PC since I last played it) and I'll see if I can get back into it. Apparently if someone who has the DLC (which gives you co-op and other new game modes) they can share it with you... I guess that means if they challenge you, you'll be able to play the new games? Not sure.

@Rummy :p

Man, I ain't played this in forever neither! How much is the DLC? I know Marcamillian went a bit back into it recently though.

Sign in to follow this