N-Europe

a question about backwards compatibility

marcel

Hi,

i got a question. is the nintendo revolution also backwards compatible with usa gamecube games on a EU revolution,

Do you think i can use freeloader (that confuses the region chip) or is it completly region free (for gamecube games)

i know that the nes,snes and n64 are downloadable from over the world. i mean that a usa revolution can handle a european copy of mario kart 64.

thanks for ancering the question

It is too early to tell that. Theortetically the Freeloader could work because the GC emulation is done by the hardware but the main problem is that Nintendo could easily change that so that the Freeloader won't work. Nintendo said that the downloadable content will be region-free and this could indicate that at least the old games will be region-free too.

Guest Stefkov

if its true that snes, nes and n64 games are downloadable from all regions then im definitely gonna get harvest moon 64, why was it never released here in the EU?

looked all over for it in america wheni went but i didnt find it. oh well.

i wouldnt see why the freeloader wont work, with all these rumours that its only a bit more powerful thatn the GC, which i hope istn true, then it must have some GC stuff in there. i know nothing on tech stuff so dont question me. im only guessing

offtopic:

stefkof, its also rumored that nintendo will use a technic called displacement mapping so that u can get a xbx360 quality with mutch less polygons.

That will not happen. Yes with that technology you need less polygons for a character that will look like one with a lot more polygons. BUT you need a quite big framebuffer for every character and so far no GPU has the hardware to do that (wether it is a ATI Rxxx or a NVIDIA NVxx). So the CPU (which is rumored to be less capable than its 360/PS3 counterparts) would have to do it.

Yes in a interview Iwata or Miyamoto confirmed that NES to N64 games will be region free. If the Revolution features enhanced GC hardware (which is most likely) there is really no need to fear compatibility issues. Software emulation is far more difficult in my opinion.