N-Europe

No sound after installing SP3 in XP?

Rummy

Man, my sister's laptop finally decided via the automatic updates that it needed SP3, so I updated it.

Now though? No sound. No conflicts, no reason for there not to be sound, but there isn't sound. I once knew, after much annoyance, of an issue with sound in SP3, as I had to help restore my brother's computer once and encountered the problem, that time I managed to find a fix via google after hours of searching, this time however...I am not so lucky :(. Have tried headphones in the headphone slot also, still no luck so I assume it a driver/SP3 issue.

But anyway, can anyone think why I might not have sound? I think it may be related to SP3, but will not rule out this just being a coincidence. Also if anyone DOES know about the SP3 sound issue, and how to fix it, hit me up with that to try too.

EDIT: Ftr current driver installed is Realtek AC'97 Audio. I think the aforementioned SP3 issue may have only related to 'HD Audio' but not sure. I do still need info on it though, because I think my dad's computer is suffering similar and I should really get round to fixing it.

Edited by Rummy

I'd tried driver re-install, no luck. However I remember that also not working when I had that SP3 issue, I had to disable something somewhere and delete some shit then reinstall.

Anyhow yep, I found my Mint usb stick, booted up...and unless Linux is struggling to find my sound drivers too then it seems the hardware has fooked itself up at a rather coincidental time. It's a pretty old laptop anyhow, my next mission...to fix my dad's computer! Should get some speakers first though. Thanks for the time and replies guys.