NEurope
DemonHunter

Shying away from change

Let us go back to the core essence of this subject and try to break down everything that we can think of in terms of spin offs, fresh approaches and humble spin offs as you so aptly named it.What other titles likeStar Fox

Adventures fit the same bill? And let us try to think of other titles like Strangers Wrath that have made such a good transition. Remember,

Imagination is the key, we must look past the established norm and think outside the box :smile:

I believe Kirby's Epic Yarn was originally Prince Fluff's mighty adventure....but NINTENDO figured there wasn't enough Kirby love going around.

Would be hilarious.

How might you branch out Little Kings Story into a different genre?

Easy, a Rhythm-RTS.

Surely if the game was kept in context with the already established world then visiting familiar settings or characters would be a joy?

No one complained when Mario left his platforming roots and became a doctor or a kart racing champion so what makes Link (Using the Zelda franchise as an example) any different? Is he a prisoner to the fans who demand that he stays in his current position? Link’s crossbow training actually turned out to be a fun title (short admittedly, but still fun).

The reason it's fine with Mario is because it's allways been like this. The mere fact that Mario is in a platform game is a deviations from his roots in Donkey Kong. So it's not strange that people don't mind Mario racing gokarts or whatever. Mario is quite simply a symbol of games that are colorful and fun. I don't think that anyone would appreciate a Mario with realistic graphics, where a fat middle aged plumber who walks around and sets people on fire to reach tha princess and in the end of the game says "Forget the cake, b***h, I want some peach you *insert condoscending slur for female here*".

Zelda on the other hand has allways been Nintendos main AAA title. Zelda, A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time were broadly considered the best games of all time upon release and are usually all included in best game of all time-lists, while Link's Awakening was considered the best handheld game of it's era. While Link's Crossbot Training wasn't terrible, it was certainly not worthy of being called a Zelda.

They could have used the same game engine and the same gameplay, only with the change of replacing Link with let's say a space marine and call it "Futuristic Rifle Training".

Neither Wind Waker or Twilight Princess reached up to be worthy of the Zelda badge IMO (although at least TP wasn't blasphemy).

And even though Mario hasn't had his rep reduced too much because of the deviations, he still has suffered from it. On the N64 I had every single Mario game, except for Mario Party 2&3. On the GC I didn't: there was just too many of them. On the Wii I barely have any Mario games (but that's because I don't have that much money and generally spend less on games). Many games in the Mario franchise shouldn't have been released (like several Mario Party games or that Mario Sports Pack or whatever it's called).

Neither Wind Waker or Twilight Princess reached up to be worthy of the Zelda badge IMO (although at least TP wasn't blasphemy).

Not gonna lie, in my opinion, OoT is to me the best Zelda title. But WW was also super duper awesome I have to admit. TP on the other hand, was stunning but lacked the originality, naturality and specialness. Also, the motion-tracking input in that game was really irritating at times. 'Tis why I'm looking forward to SS, y'see. ;)

My two cents...

Sorry if somebody else has already come up with this but...

Starfox: Multiverse (Working title)

A rift in the Starfox universe opens up, resulting in Fox and co chasing Andross through other Nintendo universes with predictable awesomeness.

Imagine boss fights such as; blasting Bowser in his flying machine over a lake of lava or chasing and zapping Ganondorf (on horseback) across Hyrule.

You could even enter the Airwing into a Mario Kart race...

lol we're all teachers in our own way Diageo, we listen, talk and communicate our thoughts to each other in the hope of learning and understanding each others likes and dislikes. This is why forums can be so good; we have our own opinions and like to express them, but even our opinions on something can change by listening to others and seeing things in a different light.

Why do you ask anyway if you don't mind me asking?

I learnt from the strong replies on this thread that we as gamers are happy to see our loved franchises expand just as long as that initial love for them isn't destroyed along the way. Unfortunately this is out of our hands and our fears of said franchises being ruined are more based on past experiences where some IP's have been poorly developed or unrealised.

It's always hard to try and look outisde the box on something that has remained relatively unchanged, but if we keep our minds and hearts inside the box unwilling to face change then we ourselves as gamers our destroy this great industry.

Eh, just the way you present your opinion. Very including and summarising.

My two cents...

Sorry if somebody else has already come up with this but...

Starfox: Multiverse (Working title)

A rift in the Starfox universe opens up, resulting in Fox and co chasing Andross through other Nintendo universes with predictable awesomeness.

Imagine boss fights such as; blasting Bowser in his flying machine over a lake of lava or chasing and zapping Ganondorf (on horseback) across Hyrule.

You could even enter the Airwing into a Mario Kart race...

I think the Zelda-Verse part of this has been done