N-Europe

Making a backup and reformatting Macbook?

Eenuh

Hey guys, question!

My dad got me Snow Leopard today to put on my Macbook, as I'm still running on Tigerrrrrr. Thing is I also want to completely clear my Macbook, as I've basically run out of space and I have the feeling there's lots of hidden files on here.

So my question is, how do I make a backup of all my stuff? I know I can manually drag my files to my external harddrive, but I'm wondering about other things like mail preferences, bookmarks etc? Any idea if there's a quick, easy way to save all my stuff?

And then about the formatting, how do I do this? Can I do it when I install Leopard?

Backing up:

-Get an external hard drive (I'd recommend at least 500 GB, but it really depends on how large your internal HDD is, It should be significantly bigger at any rate).

-Use disk utility to make 2 partitions on it ( its in /Applications/Utilities).

-Use disk utility to clone your boot drive onto one of the partitions (Now you'll be able to boot off of your external drive into tiger (with your old files) if you want to).

-Put all the important files that you want to put back onto the drive on the other partition so you can get at them quickly.

Re formating:

-Boot from the Snow Leopard install disk (Hold "c" on startup, put the disk in before you shut the computer down)

-There should be some sort of utilities menu, select this menu and open Disk Utility.

-Select your internal drive and go to the erase tab.

-Set the format as "Mac OS X Extended Journaled"

-Click the button to start it.

-Once its done exit out of disk utility and install snow leopard.

To be honest, that was all Chinese for me... =(

Trying to do the partitioning part, but I have no clue what I'm doing. It also says I might lose stuff from my external hard drive if I do it (there's already stuff on there)... So I don't know what to do.

Once you've got everything sorted, install a program called 'applejack'. It's a great program that clears out aaaaall the broken files etc without you needing to do anything, and when it's done your machine will be lots faster. Once you've installed it read the 'ReadMe' file to check how it works, but basically it's a simple way of cleaning up your Mac. I did it to my 5 year old macbook which I thought was as good as dead, and now it runs perfectly again. So yeah, do that :)