NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CoolFunkMan

Second sata hard drive not detected

First of all, I'm running the latest version of Windows 7 and my motherboard is a Gigabyte X38-DS4.

I'm trying to install a second hard drive (1TB in size) on my system, but it isn't recognised in the bios, device manager or in windows computer management. The sata cable is plugged into the sata3 socket on my motherboard, and the power cable is connected to the motherboard.

I have no idea where to start, thanks if anyone can help.

Edited by CoolFunkMan

did you set the second one as a slave in the jumper config?

is the hard drive powering up/ making noise when you power on?

Edited by Raining_again

Being as it's sata, it doesn't need jumpers (at least that's what everywhere's lead me to believe), so it's plugged into a different socket on the motherboard. I can't really hear anything either, but then my primary hard drive make a lot of noise anyway. :heh:

Did you try another socket? Is it possible for you to try it on another computer / motherboard? Tried another sata data and / or power cable?

It's not possible to try in on another comp, as I haven't got another one free. I have tried a second sata socket, but still no joy. I'll buy a new power cable for it when I get chance, as that could be the issue (I'll need a new one anyway tbh.)

EDIT: Yup, I was right, I had the hard drive power cable plugged into the wrong socket. I got a new one earlier and now it works! Thanks for the help anyway folks, sorry to waste your time, lol.

Edited by CoolFunkMan

Sign in to follow this