NEurope
ReZourceman

No Ordinary Family

This works on the idea that television shows are renewed on quality though, which they're really not. It's all about the numbers (or you have to be a huge fan/critical darling which explains why 30 Rock, Chuck and others are still on the air). Looking at FF's numbers you can see why the network were disappointed:

530px-FlashForward_US_Viewers.svg.png

Those figures are a whole lot better than some shows which are still on the air (syfy's being human i'm looking at you)

during most of that period it was pitted against some heavy hitting shows, which was a shame, because i think had it been shown in its entirety after 24/lost had ended then it would have stole their audiences

as for the Neilson Ratings, its a terrible system, it doesn't account for recording a show, or online viewers of a show, but worst of all Neilson ratings is based on a flawed random selection, people have to accept to be neilson homes, and/or fill out diaries, this isn't random at all! the people who accept these may be biased (very very scaled down explanation...i could copy from wikipedia....nah just google it)

when the system is updated maybe we will get a decent system

and in the case of 30 rock... thats just network bias/producer bias which is something that may never be extinguished

the current trend with producers is to assume we all like reality shows, and don't like anything with a serial nature

Those figures are a whole lot better than some shows which are still on the air (syfy's being human i'm looking at you)

SyFy is a cable channel, though, while No Ordinary Family aired on ABC, so you can't really compare the ratings. Four million viewers on network television is really terrible - especially with a decline like that.

SyFy is a cable channel, though, while No Ordinary Family aired on ABC, so you can't really compare the ratings. Four million viewers on network television is really terrible - especially with a decline like that.

I have no idea how network Tv and Cable TV differs in the US

In the UK we have Terrestrial (Free Channels) you receive through an Aerial

and Paid for/Subscription Providers through Satellite or Cable

all i know is Being Human averaged 0.9 million viewers for a long time (and was renewed), yet SGU which averaged 1.2 million was cancelled for low ratings

It all seems very random

Any television channel that isn't CBS/ABC/FOX/NBC (and NBC can't afford to be too picky these days) generally has a lot lower expectations on ratings. If No Ordinary Family had averaged four million viewers on SyFy (but it wouldn't have, because not as many people have/watch SyFy), it would have been renewed.

There was an episode of Studio 60 where one of the main characters tried to convince a new writer to sell his new show about the UN to NBC instead of HBO, and I found the whole thing really stupid, because a show like that would stand almost no chance on NBC, but would become a critical darling/moderate success on HBO. They were basically trying to convince the writer to let them cancel the show after four episodes. :hmm:

It's not really random, just... unfair sometimes. In the end it comes down to ratings, but it's not as simple as "this show has higher ratings than this other show, let's renew it". Stargate Universe saw a steady decline in ratings, while Being Human may have seen an increase (I'm guessing), so they may have seen potential in it. And there were probably higher expectations on a Stargate show, plus they may come from different production companies, the budgets were probably different, and so on. Sometimes it's cheaper to start over with a new show that has the potential to get higher ratings than it is to keep an old show that has already peaked around.

Basically, being a fan of TV shows sucks sometimes. :blank:

Basically, being a fan of TV shows sucks sometimes. :blank:

I know, it feels like most TV shows i've become a Fan of lately has been cancelled, FlashForward, Stargate, Caprica, No Ordinary Family, Heroes, 24, Lost, Outcasts

*sigh*

Oh Well, nobody best Cancel, Blue Bloods, NCIS, NCIS:LA,Game Of Thrones, Dexter,True Blood as they seem to be all i have left

huh just realised all the Sci-Fi i liked has gone....damn