N-Europe

Computer being shit, maybe all down to heat.

Wesley

Sup homies.

My PC:

ouch.png

It's not the same case and I now have another 2GB of the same RAM, and another HDD the same.

The problem is that every so often my machine freezes up.

Everything.

Like, audio that is playing will loop on that note, mouse will pause, programs do, downloads do.

It just lags.

And the amount of time in-between these lags and the lags themselves vary.

At the moment it's lagging every 15 seconds and for about 3 seconds.

Extremelllly annoying.

I have a feeling that my PC is overheating.

Here's a screen shot of SpeedFan.

heat.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

When playing games the GPU can go up to the high 80s.

But can the none gaming PC usage be messed up by the graphics card in this way?

All my fans are working, if I put them to super high it doesn't really do that much and I took it all apart last week and cleaned it.

Any ideas?

Edited by Wesley

I have the same CPU and that seems to be about normal.

GPU seems hot but I know the Nvidia's like to bring the burn.

Can we get a SS of your performance management? Perhaps something is eating up CPU time or munching memory.

Anyway some junk about the Q6600

The Q6600 has a TjMax (core temp) of around 95-100C, at that temp the CPU will send out an "I am too hot" signal aka PROCHOT# interrupt to the motherboard to spin the cooling fan to 100% and the CPU will begin to reduce voltage and speed to reduce heat, aka throttling. At some temp above TjMax , we do not know for sure as Intel has never said but 10-20C would be a good guess, the CPU will shut itself down to prevent damage.
Edited by Ten10

GPU temp might be a bit high. Download ATi Tool, install, run, and click 'Scan for Artifacts'. Let it run for an hour. It shouldn't find any and if it doesn't then the GPU is 100% stable. If it finds loads then GPU instability is probably causing your problems either due to it being too hot or it being faulty.

I've tried ATi Tool but it says:

"The Kernel Mode Driver does not seem to be running

A device driver is required for communication with your video hardware

If you just upgraded from an older version it may help to

uninstall AtiTool, reboot and then install a the new version."

At the start up.

I'm running Win7 64bit... which might be the issue.

I decided to run it anyway and my GPU temp went up to 90 and my fans kicked up to 100%.

They've now gone back down and so has the GPU.

I've gone to the performance tab on my Task Manager and the CPU is at 35ish.

Oddly though I have blank graphs...

Ok ATI Tray Tools gave me looots of errors on start-up, some similar as the ATI Tools - both tried with admin privileges.

I've installed TechPowerUp GPU-Z and will post a screen shot of how it is now (everything on my PC is alright at the moment) and then later one when it's being crappy.

techgpuz1.png

techgpuz2.png

GPU-Z isn't really telling you much that's going to help, it's just system info. You need something that will stress test your PC and check that it's stable.

Had a read up on why ATi Tool isn't working and it turns out it's been replaced by GPUTool. Downloaded it, tried it, works fine on Win7 64-bit.

Ok I've started the Test for Stability and straight away I can hear my fans going faster, they've gone from 35% to 100%.

The GPU temp has also gone up from 75 to 92 degrees at the moment.

And now 95 degrees.

And now my PC is being all glitchy and laggy.

My internet is also randomly slower.

Wes since you've got on board graphics try the test again utilizing that alone instead of your dedicated card. You'll either have an option in the bios or you'll have to remove it.

Will help to see if the situation is fully the result of the gpu. If problems don't occur you'll have to look at RMA'ing the card.

I don't have on board graphics though...

Do I?

I'm now confused.

Ack my bad. I hadn't actually looked at your mobo so I took the "nforce 680i"

as some crazy acronmy for integrated graphics on an Nvidia chipset. (I'm more of an ATI person you see)

Best course of action is to contact the card manufacturer and start the return process.

http://eu.evga.com/support/

http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

Or see if you can borrow a card from a friend / another machine and see if you can replicate the problem.

Edited by Ten10

Bit late here, but looking at this it's definitely your GPU, and I'm guessing the fan has gone on it. What you're experiencing is exactly what happened to my Nvidia a while ago. Mine's a 9800GT. You seem to have an 8800GT which is indeed a dedicated graphics card and not onboard. :) My PC went completely bananas in exactly the same way, and I was getting similar readings to yours with Speedfan. Luckily it's pretty easy to fix and a new fan can be bought fairly cheaply these days. I bought an Akasa Vortexx Neo for about £15, and the difference it made was amazing.

Let us know how you got on. :)

Was your GPU fan completely non-functional?

When I last opened it up and ran it (to check the main fans) I think it was running...

I think.

It may be possible that it's just caked in dust though.

Yeah, the motor had completely gone. There wasn't much dust on it, though I know that can cause problems. Apparently it's quite common with the type of card I have. It has a "unique" "custom" (or "rubbish" :D) fan cooler called a Glaciator or something. Went in the first year. The temp went bananas, and then the PC started glitching and rebooting. I thought I had a virus. Took a bit of Googling and experimenting before discovering the knackered fan.

I mean, I suppose it's a bit silly for me to say it's definitely your fan. It could be owt! But you have uncannily similar symptoms to mine, and as Speedfan is showing you, the GPU just shouldn't be that temperature. Mine runs at about 42c in hot weather, and slightly more after a game. When the fan stopped mine hit nearer 92c! :o:D