NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
triforcemario

Bizzare problem with WiFi

I'm having quite a strange issue with my wifi connection. Whenever I try to connect to my wireless router, the connection keeps dropping (and during the few seconds it is connected, it says that there's a problem in the IP configuration, and it also sometimes gives me IP conflict issues, even when it's the only computer connected on the network).

The strange thing is that the computer plugged in directly to the router via a ethernet cable works perfectly, and I've gone over all the settings in the router, and everything is fine (Note: this problem only started about an hour and a half ago, this morning, the connection was working fine).

I've tried unplugging the router, the modem, both at the same time, trying hard rebooting the router, tried restarting my computer, and absolutly NOTHING works. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

If plugging in works fine and rebooting the router does nothing, the next thing to check would be the wireless adapter. Do you have any other devices you could use to test the wireless? Another adapter, Wii, mobile phone, laptop etc?

Just tried connecting via the Wii, initial connection test worked (via the internet options in the Wii options, although I didn't do an update when prompted), but afterwards, I tried using the Internet Channel with no luck at all.

Sounds like a strange problem, could the router be faulty? Try resetting the router to factory defaults and set it up again (unless by hard reboot you meant you already tried this), My old netgear router acted strangely like this, dropping connections and things and it turned out the wireless adapter in it had become faulty and I needed a new router. Hope yours doesn't fall under this.

I also have a strange problem with my current wireless router/ internet. I will try resetting it to factory defaults but thought i'd post it here incase anybody else had any ideas. My mum uses ebay a lot, the strange thing is when she uploads more than one picture the internet stops working and the router needs restarting to get it working again. It does this without fail every time she does it, even if she tries one at a time, the 2nd pic always knocks it out. I can't for the life of me think what might be causing this, it does it on all the computers in the house. We've had the router for a few years and it's never done anything like this until recently and I haven't changed any settings. It's only uploading pictures to ebay that seems to knock the internet out, everything else works perfectly.

Edited by Stewilo2005

I'm having quite a strange issue with my wifi connection. Whenever I try to connect to my wireless router, the connection keeps dropping (and during the few seconds it is connected, it says that there's a problem in the IP configuration, and it also sometimes gives me IP conflict issues, even when it's the only computer connected on the network).

The strange thing is that the computer plugged in directly to the router via a ethernet cable works perfectly, and I've gone over all the settings in the router, and everything is fine (Note: this problem only started about an hour and a half ago, this morning, the connection was working fine).

I've tried unplugging the router, the modem, both at the same time, trying hard rebooting the router, tried restarting my computer, and absolutly NOTHING works. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Change the WiFi channel. Odds on it's interference from other wireless devices/the neighbours' wireless connections. Which channel is the right one is trial and error, all depends what the neighbours are running.

I also have a strange problem with my current wireless router/ internet. I will try resetting it to factory defaults but thought i'd post it here incase anybody else had any ideas. My mum uses ebay a lot, the strange thing is when she uploads more than one picture the internet stops working and the router needs restarting to get it working again. It does this without fail every time she does it, even if she tries one at a time, the 2nd pic always knocks it out. I can't for the life of me think what might be causing this, it does it on all the computers in the house. We've had the router for a few years and it's never done anything like this until recently and I haven't changed any settings. It's only uploading pictures to ebay that seems to knock the internet out, everything else works perfectly.

Sounds odd. I'd probably go with buying a new router tbh, they ain't all that expensive and this sounds like one of those problems that'll probably never be solved.

Change the WiFi channel. Odds on it's interference from other wireless devices/the neighbours' wireless connections. Which channel is the right one is trial and error, all depends what the neighbours are running.

It doesn't have to be trial and error. Use inssider to scan the wireless channels around you. Pick a clean one.

I live in the countryside, so no neighbours to worry about. Also, the problem has now changed. I can now connect to the internet, however, access to the internet is often lost, and automatically recovered after from around 20 seconds to 3 minutes (have in mind it remains connected to the router during this time, and doesn't specify any errors).

Edit: I just tried the Inssider tool, and it didn't detect any interference (only my wireless router)

Edited by triforcemario

Sign in to follow this