NEurope
Rummy

Cheaper alternative to official 360 wireless?

Just wondering if anyone out there has much experience with ways to get a solution for the 360 wirelessly without shelling out the ridonkulous price they charge for the wireless adapter! I had been considering something I stumbled across called DD-WRT(firmware hack, an option of which is to make a wireless router into a wireless client/reciever), unfortunately the cheapy router I just bought appears to not be able to be DD-WRT hackable. My technical question however, is what would the name be for a thingy that has say, one ethernet port, and wireless, so it could wirelessly connect to my network then share that through to a wired only device? Is that a bridge? Do they particularly happen to exist much anymore? Are they cheap?

Alternatively, does anyone know of any cheapy DD-WRT hackable routers? Looking for any solution under £25 really, I've seen some 'pre-installed DD-WRT' routers on ebay from HK for £25 all in, but then I dunno how good they'd be...

I actually get online using my laptops connection.

You will need:

Crossover cable(looks like Ethernet but isn't)

or

2x Ethernet Cables and Router/Network Hub.

If you have a crossover cable simply plug one end into each machine go into your network connections on the laptop select both the wireless and the lan connections then right click Bridge Connections.

Works like a charm other than a small issue of sometimes not getting an IP address from my router, I just have to either turn it on and off or I can disable and re-enable DHCP.

The other method is basically the same except you need the 360 going into a router/hub that the laptop is going into and then bridge the connections the same way. You may run into problems using a router instead of a hub, I'm not really sure.

I've done it both ways, and while not as simple or desirable as 360+router, it's certainly much better than shelling out for the adapter and works just fine.

Edit: If you're braver than me you could try and make your own crossover cable. http://www.littlewhitedog.com/content-8.html

Edited by Nolan

Homeplug is a slightly cheaper solution than the RRP of the official wireless.