NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Getting into Linux

Ok, I have mentioned this before but don't think I've ever made a thread. I'm contemplating getting into Linux in the next week or two when I get my new HDD, dual booting alongside XP. Does anybody here use Linux? I might want somebody to adopt me as a Linux buddy in case I ever needs me some help...:blush:

Out of Fedora, Ubuntu, and Mint(or other better alternative) what is the best distro to start with as a beginner? Is it all preference or are some actually easier than others? Should I be ready and wary of any major potential pitfalls(I read NTFS was a problem in linux, but not now)? I've also realised all I use mainly is Internet/FF, MSN and mIRC, then just other stuff like paint/calc/msoffice etc on occasion. Given that, I don't imagine it'll be too drastic a change as I'm not doing major things with my comp right now. I'm gonna be attempting to teach myself Python for giggles too, but that shouldn't matter.

When I get up and running, I might pop back to this thread for help from anyone who knows if I can't find my answers anywhere else.

I've only used Fedora out of those three. I quite liked it but I've heard that Ubuntu is the most user friendly Linux distro of them all.

Been using Linux for a couple of years now. Mainly Ubuntu, but tried many.

I would say for a first timer, go with Linux Mint. Based on Ubuntu, but easier out of the box, with lots of codecs and whatnot pre-installed and ready to go. Mandriva is also a fantastic place to start.

If you know how to partition your hard drive, I'd say you've got nothing to lose. Most Linuxes will read from an NTFS partition. I can't imagine you'd need to write to one, but if you do there's a driver available for it. My hard drive is only 300Gb, but I have 160Gb for Windows 7, then a 60Gb FAT32 partition for backup, and then an 80Gb partition for Ubuntu. Obviously, divide up your space how you see fit. You can use the Ubuntu disc as a Live CD and use GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) to resize if you wish, but please make sure you know what you are doing before you attempt it. Nothing worse than destroying all your data and forever blaming the Linux. :D

But I'd definitely say try Mint first. Let us know how you get on. :)

Cheers for the advice K-Pro, was getting set on the idea of Mint but I think that's just solidified it for me. My drives gonna be a nice spacey 500GB, and fresh out the box too, I'm just gonna do an XP home install(was gonna partition it with that) then do a Mint install shortly after. The reason I'd end up needing to write to NTFS is just cos the drive currently in here is NTFS formatted, so I'd be read writing to the drive as I'm gonna use it in an external caddy. I'm hoping that I won't have any problems with it as an external HD either. As said, thanks for the info guys, I'll return in a few weeks to let you know how it goes!

Ubuntu and Linux Mint use the EXT4 filesystem, and not Microsoft's NTFS filesystem, so you'll need to create an EXT4 partition for it to install to. I always like to use this free tool to prepare the space before I install to it. I've just used it this week in fact, to create a new partition table to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10 fresh to. I always find it easier if I create the space first, format it to the correct filesystem, then install. That way I know where I am when it comes to installing, and what to look for.

Windows typically will not see an EXT4 partition, so you won't get a a G or H drive in your Windows. However, Ubuntu will see the NTFS partition. :)

Good luck with it all anyway dude. :)

I've never used it but when I was thinking of using linux I heard Ubuntu was the easiest and most learner friendly

I believe Mint was born off the back of ubuntu anyhow, or they share alot of stuff or something. I got bored earlier and decided to take it for a spin on the other comp with the LiveCD, then I went and installed it on there too! Thinking I'm gonna be pretty ready to get it off the ground running when I get my HD in the week :D

Not been doing all that much with it so far, but I like it, easier than I was otherwise expecting in fact. Only unsolved problem so far is an issue with the Wireless(USB adapater, DWA-140) but I'm gonna work on it in the week.

Mint is always based off the newest Ubuntu, it just includes some stuff that makes your life easier (Ubuntu won't include packages to play MP3s out of the box, etc). It also looks a lot nicer, if you ask me.

Sign in to follow this