N-Europe

Serious-ish Computer Problem

Emasher

So, a few months ago, my family got a webcam for my grandparents so they could communicate via skype with relatives and stuff. My dad and I were having trouble getting it to work when we bought it for them, and we finally got around to looking into it over the last few days. Its one of those generic Microsoft Web Cams. Anyway, when the video signal coming from the other computer begins to display in skype, the entire machine crashes and reboots itself. And after using the computer for a little while, attempting to fix the issue, we've discovered that this actually happens when doing other things as well. We've tried updating all the software (including the driver for the webcam), running virus/spyware/ect. scans, and nothing seems to be working. We also keep getting the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" dialog, and we've had dialogs that have said that windows has closed some Microsoft Made software, such as Windows Updater, and something along the lines of Win32 generic host processes (I can't remember the exact name, but I'll find out the next time it does this.

Anyway, the system itself is ancient:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.16 GHz

480MB RAM

And its running:

MS Windows XP Home

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated. Just tossing the computer and buying them a new one, while the logical thing to do (Its like 6 or 7 years old), and what we actually want to do, isn't an option in this case unfortunately.

Edit:

NVM. We're in the process of convincing them to buy a new machine now. We've given up on this one.

Edited by Emasher

So, a few months ago, my family got a webcam for my grandparents so they could communicate via skype with relatives and stuff. My dad and I were having trouble getting it to work when we bought it for them, and we finally got around to looking into it over the last few days. Its one of those generic Microsoft Web Cams. Anyway, when the video signal coming from the other computer begins to display in skype, the entire machine crashes and reboots itself. And after using the computer for a little while, attempting to fix the issue, we've discovered that this actually happens when doing other things as well. We've tried updating all the software (including the driver for the webcam), running virus/spyware/ect. scans, and nothing seems to be working. We also keep getting the "Windows has recovered from a serious error" dialog, and we've had dialogs that have said that windows has closed some Microsoft Made software, such as Windows Updater, and something along the lines of Win32 generic host processes (I can't remember the exact name, but I'll find out the next time it does this.

Anyway, the system itself is ancient:

AMD Athlon XP 2700+ 2.16 GHz

480MB RAM

And its running:

MS Windows XP Home

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be appreciated. Just tossing the computer and buying them a new one, while the logical thing to do (Its like 6 or 7 years old), and what we actually want to do, isn't an option in this case unfortunately.

Edit:

NVM. We're in the process of convincing them to buy a new machine now. We've given up on this one.

To be honest i would get them something with it already built in, minimal setup, and minimal tech support from your end.

To be honest i would get them something with it already built in, minimal setup, and minimal tech support from your end.

Why? You could just as easily get a high spec computer that'll last them with windows 7 as its incredibly easy to install and use. Heck you could even just use xp again if they wished.

Do you mean the web cam? We've already bought them one, and having one extra cable isn't going to kill them. Thanks though.

-----------

We're probably going to try and get them using Windows 7, they're going to need to move to a new OS at some point, and its better to do it sooner rather than latter.

Do you mean the web cam? We've already bought them one, and having one extra cable isn't going to kill them. Thanks though.

-----------

We're probably going to try and get them using Windows 7, they're going to need to move to a new OS at some point, and its better to do it sooner rather than latter.

Probably best given its the easiest OS I've ever seen! :grin: