NEurope
Rummy

Cheapest place to get a copy of XP?

So, we've an old computer which is knackered(and it seems, originally had a dodgy XP) and I can't really be arsed getting into the business of trying to get it to work with another key etc, so I'm wondering if anybody knows the cheapest place to get a proper, official copy of XP? Maybe one I could install on two computers(planning to get a new HD for laptop and put it on that too, but that's secondary to purpose) the first computer that needs it is what my dad'll be using, so I definitely need to be able to install it on that one.

The cheapest I've found with a quick google, is this place for £34.99, I'm hoping they're genuine and everything too...

Those ones are fake. First of all, the address on the website isn't his:

145-157 St John Street, London, EC1V 4PY. According to a BBC report, this is the address used by a company which sells its use as a registered office address. Because there does not seem to be an obligation to check that users of the service are legitimate companies, criminals are attracted to it.

Secondly, the WhoIS address is a fake address.

Haha, I did think it a bit too good to be true. Oh well, still doesn't address my issue of the problem of not actually knowing where the cheapest place to get XP is!

If I buy a copy second hand, with a proper license key thingy(like the sticker, or whatever comes with a full retail version) but then it later gets decided that my license is invalid(for example if my key is in large usage) where do I stand legally?

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Software/Operating+Systems/Microsoft+Windows+XP+Home+OEM?productId=25139

It may be cheaper on some other PC type sites like ebuyer or scan.co.uk, but aria is all I've checked so far. Not particularly cheap but stil not as much as 7. Bear in mind that after Vista was released MS basically quit selling XP so finding a Retail version will be a bit difficult. OEM versions are still somewhat common as companies still put it on things like Netbooks and the such.

An OEM product just means it won't have some of the luxuries of a retail product, you'd have to find drivers and whatnot yourself.

If you want to install XP on more than one PC you need to buy more than one copy, or at least acquire more than one key for it.

Pretty pricey still, MS don't do themselves much favours in trying to discourage piracy with that attitude. Though I guess they need the money and progression is money, but it'd be nice if they kept retailing older versions on the cheap, with or without support.

I've half solved my problem already anyhow, so I guess this thread is free to die its own death/locked away to never be posted in again, just wanted to thank everyone for their advice! Cheers!

If it's an older PC, have you considered the Linux option? I use both XP and Linux myself, and have no problems with it at all. If you're new to it I'd recommend you try Linux Mint, or Mandriva 2010. There's always the perennial Ubuntu too.

Worth a look. :)