NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Deathjam

Thinking about getting a new mouse

OK. Im thinking about getting a new mouse.

CoolFunkMan posted this in the purchase thread:

Ended up having to replace my mouse, due to it messing up, so I got myself a Logitech MX518.

21583d1192822298-logitech-mx-518-mx518.jpg

and with the way I am spending money, it is right in my price range. I game alot, and my main games on my PC are counter strike: source/almost any valve game and the soon to be properly released Aion, an MMO. So I was wondering if you peeps would have any suggestions and advice.

Should add that I have fairly large hands (and feet, Gigantism?) and compute on a glass surface which has a mouse mat which is possibly too small for my needs. I don't think optical mice work well on the surface if at all.

Razer make some really good (expensive) mice, but I don't think they do ball mice anymore. They even have a configurator on their website to help you choose your ideal mouse.

and with the way I am spending money, it is right in my price range. I game alot, and my main games on my PC are counter strike: source/almost any valve game and the soon to be properly released Aion, an MMO. So I was wondering if you peeps would have any suggestions and advice.

Should add that I have fairly large hands (and feet, Gigantism?) and compute on a glass surface which has a mouse mat which is possibly too small for my needs. I don't think optical mice work well on the surface if at all.

Ironically, I haven't actually started using that mouse yet. I'll get round to setting it up tomorrow, and I'll let you know how good it is. Although it is and optical mouse, so it might not suit your needs. I find ball mice hard to come by these says (at least any of a decent quality.)

Razer make some really good (expensive) mice, but I don't think they do ball mice anymore. They even have a configurator on their website to help you choose your ideal mouse.

Razer are alright, although I'm replacing my current Razer due to it messing up after only a year. :/

How do you hold a mouse? There's usually two types of grip, the full palm (where the mouse sits in your hand) and the finger grip (where the mouse tends to be gripped in, and moved by, your fingers). I can't remember where i read the explanation but it made sense and it's true. From this you can usually find the right mouse. Logitech tend to produce big mice that are suited to the palm grip, your whole hand can comfortably rest on the mouse. Razor usually pump out smaller mice that are more precise and easier to control with a finger grip but rather uncomfortable for those that like to use their whole hand.

Personally i use a Logitech G5. It's near perfect for me, though as i have big hands it could do with being a little (10%?) longer and taller.

EDIT: Oh, you're on glass. Glass desk? If it is then you might well need a mouse mat. Mechanical mice aren't really made any more, the technology was poop.

However: http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=19839

Edited by McPhee

Dayum that's some fine advice but I really dont want to spend anymore than £25. £30 at the most. I have a mouse mat but i think it's a little small. I *think* i have the finger grip style of holding the mouse. Not too sure...My little finger does drag along side the mouse and the mat though.

I think I read somewhere that Laser mice struggle with glass surfaces - it's not good for optical mice either but they perform a lot better there.

Or just get a Razer ExactMat mousepad - I have one and it's really good for gaming.

The G5 and above range of Logitech is also highly recommendable but they are Laser mice, I think they could be quite good especially for large hands. I have small ones so I can only guess.

But in any case the MX118 is a very fine mouse - definitely gaming grade - and uses an optical sensor.

Edited by Konfucius

http://gamingweapons.com/choose-best-gaming-mouse/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqSGFQIcU_o

The first two are a palm grip but with slightly different finger positions, the third is the claw/finger grip. Hope it's a help.

That vid was perfect. Now i know im the second one. So I probably need a big mouse.

I think I read somewhere that Laser mice struggle with glass surfaces - it's not good for optical mice either but they perform a lot better there.

Or just get a Razer ExactMat mousepad - I have one and it's really good for gaming.

The G5 and above range of Logitech is also highly recommendable but they are Laser mice, I think they could be quite good especially for large hands. I have small ones so I can only guess.

But in any case the MX118 is a very fine mouse - definitely gaming grade - and uses an optical sensor.

Yeah amazon keep avertising that mouse pad. May just bite the bullet and get the same mouse as CoolFunkMan along with the mouse pad.

Just been trying out my new mouse. Whilst the software for it was a pain in the arse to install, it was worth it; it's a great mouse! Very responsive, the extra buttons are a good feature, as well as being well placed, and it's quite comfortable to hold. I already prefer it to my old mouse, I recommend!

Just been trying out my new mouse. Whilst the software for it was a pain in the arse to install, it was worth it; it's a great mouse! Very responsive, the extra buttons are a good feature, as well as being well placed, and it's quite comfortable to hold. I already prefer it to my old mouse, I recommend!

Bought already! :) Cannot wait.

Little advice: You might want to disable game detection in the mousedriver. When I had it enabled it switched to a higher DPI setting when playing a game but somehow the buttons got "confused" and it took a while of clicking to get it back to normal after exiting the game.

It's easier to increase sensitivity yourself if you need it.

Had Logitech MX518 for about 2 years now and its great,

dont install the drivers though mucka they just annoy the hell out of you,

great mouse though.

Using it with a Cherry keyboard i got at the same time,also excellent quality.

lol

It's not really a problem, they're just not really worth installing. General rule of thumb for Windows these days, if it works without installing drivers then don't install the drivers. Windows has clean, simple drivers for most things built in so there's generally no point in the ones that come with products, they're usually bloated with useless features.

Edited by McPhee

Fair point, I should have thought of that, lol. Ah well, at least I know for when I install Windows 7 in October! ^^

lol

It's not really a problem, they're just not really worth installing. General rule of thumb for Windows these days, if it works without installing drivers then don't install the drivers. Windows has clean, simple drivers for most things built in so there's generally no point in the ones that come with products, they're usually bloated with useless features.

Agreed. Its just pointless, and i've noticed the razer software is bloaty (on vista anyway :P) and makes my machine run noticeably slower :o

Agreed. Its just pointless, and i've noticed the razer software is bloaty (on vista anyway :P) and makes my machine run noticeably slower :o

Yeah, the software is like 70MB+, it's just a mouse!

Yeah, the software is like 70MB+, it's just a mouse!

Truth. And what's funny is I don't even use my razer mouse anymore! :laughing:

The mouse is SENSITIVE! But damn it is soooooo nice to hold and it works on glass! Surprising. Glides better on a mouse mat i feel. Totally shot my Counter Strike Source skills to shit though. Oh well, will just have to teach myself again. The skills will come back. But it is so nice. Love it. Haven't installed the software though so I don't think i can mess with the DPI unless i do.

Sign in to follow this