Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Samsung 'LED' ruled as misleading

Choze

http://www.engadgethd.com/2009/09/02/truth-in-advertising-prevails-in-uk-samsung-to-re-word-led-tv/

Turns out it's not only us HD geeks that were irked by Samsung's ad-speak pitching LED-backlit LCDs as 'LED TVs' -- and in the UK, at least, there's been some corrective action. The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has found that the terminology doesn't comply with marketing regulations and is misleading because unless you've got a set like Jerry Jones', the display isn't made of LEDs. Spot on, ASA! To be sure, Sammy's new sets do have plenty of redeeming qualities, but whatever marketing genius came up with the 'LED TV' phrase is going to have to go back to the drawing board. Now, if only we could get some of this reasoning applied to US marketing and/or rein in wacky contrast ratio figures, we'd really be onto something.

Actual LED screens are quite massive. Stuff used for sports stadiums etc.

Here is another article if you want to learn more: http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/6/9/5

Edited by Choze

With the amount of confusing terms associated with TV's anyway I'm surprised this is causing any extra problems.

Still, these do seem like damn good sets, the first Samsungs I've ever been impressed by actually. I'm very very tempted to pick one of the big ones up myself.

With the amount of confusing terms associated with TV's anyway I'm surprised this is causing any extra problems.

Still' date=' these do seem like damn good sets, the first Samsungs I've ever been impressed by actually. I'm very very tempted to pick one of the big ones up myself.[/quote']

They are not 'great' sets if you want good picture quality. You can do better for much less. But they are very thin and consume less electricity than most. Those are also its Achilles heel ironically when it comes to the picture. You have some odd characteristics like brightness varies as the lights are on the edges. Further out you go the brighter it gets. Motion handling is poor with below SD resolution. Its can go much higher but not without artificial motion that makes it look like a camcorder. Stuff like that. Its thin though :p