N-Europe

I'm so pissed right now, I need your advice

Caris

Why do people scare away from mentioning these 'popular shops'!!! just give a name. Its a n-europe forum, not consumer watchdog dot com

Plus you do know what legal action involves? Money and time, lots and lots of time, it wouldn't be worth it for your own and your familys health. Plus they'll be able to produce a document in seconds stating that it is your responsibilty to clear the HDD(probably)

Well, that in itself could bring legal action against him! So for now, it might not be a good idea if he's thinking to pursue anything, I should think.

As for the second part of your post, anything to back it up, or just careless conjecture? We can all throw around suppositions, but how do you actually know his T&C contained such a thing? I love how people state things with uncertain absolution sometimes.

I'll cut a long story short.

I bought a Macbook months ago at a popular electronics shop. I took it back as it was broke, kept freezing and got a refund.

I have just got a call from some guy who bought a macbook also a few month ago saying it had all my details on. (He's been away so has just got round to using it).

He has my name, number, email, address and god knows what else.

Not only did the store sell this man a second hand item for new price, they have gave away all my personal details which is obviously against the data protection act.

I'm so pissed it's unbelievable, what should I do NE? My mam thinks I could take legal action if I wanted.

Help.

Judging from the consumer law that I know, I'm pretty sure that this laptop shouldn't have been sold as a) it's faulty and b) it's second hand. I'm pretty sure the 'popular electronics store' that you bought said macbook from is not actually allowed to sell anyone second-hand goods unless it clearly states that the item is indeed second hand. I'm pretty sure that they're not allowed to regardless though, where I work, most items such as HDDs and mobile phones are exempt from our money back guarantee because we can't always ensure that they don't contain personal information on them.

In short, they're fucked. Go for it Dave!