N-Europe

The magical thread of C4 revision

MoogleViper

Right I have an exam tomorrow so I want a few things clearing up for me.

First thing:

Q (i): Expand (2+x)^(-2) in ascending powers of x up to and including the term in x³, and state the set of values for which the expansion is valid.

I did the expansion and got

0.25 - 0.25x + 0.1875x² - 0.125x³ which is correct.

But I don't get the second part. The answer is -2 < x < 2 but I don't know why.

Not 100% on this but I think you have to use the general result that the series (1 + x)^a converges for all |x|< 1.

(x + 2)^-2 = (2(0.5x + 1))^-2

Hence |0.5x|< 1 for validity ==> -1 < 0.5x < 1 ==> -2 < x < 2

But why is that?

Ahh, that would involve a bit of analysis, something you do at university level. There's probably some kind of justification in the C4 textbook, but I doubt you have to know why, just use the result.

Basically, (1 + x)^a is equal to the power series:

SUMn=0 up to positive infinity [(a n) * x^n]

where (a n) is aCn, ie the binomial coefficient.

From here, we can use many analytical techniques to determine for what values of x will make the series converge to a real number, such as the ratio test and the Cauchy root test. The end result is that the series converges for all |x|< 1 (we'll ignore the case x=1).

I can into it a bit more if you want.

Another question.

I had to integrate;

2x + 3 + x/(x²+4)

Why is the integral of the fraction 0.5ln(x²+4)? I understand the ln but why does the x disappear?

Suppose the integral was ln(x^2 + 4). Differentiating gives:

2x/(x^2 + 4)

However we require x/(x^2 + 4). Hence halving the proposed intergral gives the correct answer. To check we differentiate (using the chain rule). Note the "x" term is obtained after differentiating x^2 +4 inside the logarithm.

Ahh, that would involve a bit of analysis, something you do at university level. There's probably some kind of justification in the C4 textbook, but I doubt you have to know why, just use the result.

Basically, (1 + x)^a is equal to the power series:

SUMn=0 up to positive infinity [(a n) * x^n]

where (a n) is aCn, ie the binomial coefficient.

From here, we can use many analytical techniques to determine for what values of x will make the series converge to a real number, such as the ratio test and the Cauchy root test. The end result is that the series converges for all |x|< 1 (we'll ignore the case x=1).

I can into it a bit more if you want.

So at A-level it's more of a case of just accepting that it is?

Suppose the integral was ln(x^2 + 4). Differentiating gives:

2x/(x^2 + 4)

However we require x/(x^2 + 4). Hence halving the proposed intergral gives the correct answer. To check we differentiate (using the chain rule). Note the "x" term is obtained after differentiating x^2 +4 inside the logarithm.

Oh right I get it now. Thank you very muchly.

So at A-level it's more of a case of just accepting that it is?

Oh right I get it now. Thank you very muchly.

Pretty much, you have to accept a lot of things at A level without even realising it, like integration being the reverse of differentiation.

Anywhos, I'm now going to do some revision of my own. Toodles.