N-Europe

Wipeout HD fury expansion pack

Choze

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty damn cool. Still not sure if I'm a 'fan' of Wipeout. It is good though, did take quite a few tries at the 'beat Zico' gold trophy. It's pretty insane.

Bridge shots look mint.

Told you its insanely hard. I got to about 70 or 71.

The skills are unteachable :awesome: well I think it's a mix of practise and instinct. Doing the campaign pretty much gives you everything you need.

Ah balls. I struggle to do any speed higher than the second one. And why is elite so rock hard?! Done the first set on that but nothing else. Man i even struggle to finish a grand prix or w/e they call it. Guess I must try harder. Want to be good so I can actually appreciate the expansion when it comes out.

Hmmm I managed to worm my way to elite victories (yes, I do like to remind you) on all tracks bar most on the last set. Grand Prixs aren't usually that hard compared to single race because if you come 3rd in all races you have a chance at getting first place in leaderboard.

But yeah, just go through the tracks, and you can get better at them in zone mode, which is great practice for air-braking.

Dunno if this sounds dumb or not but it kind of helps to 'feel' the analogue R2/L2 and not use it as a standard button. Needs to be eased at right pressure, you can sort of get feedback from the track/rumble etc.

Edited by dwarf

Ah the one mega-tip I have is that it helps before corners to hold down the L2/R2 button for whichever corner you're taking slightly before you reach it. If you hold it in slightly before it gives you a better sense of how far you will turn if you hold it down further, which makes it easier to control than just pressing it at point of turn because judgement is more difficult and usually results in a sudden jolt = lame scraping into walls.

It's because initially you press it slightly and nothing happens so you have to force it down quite hard to make it register anything and you usually end up overcooking the turn. I think that's the best way of explaining it.

Ah the one mega-tip I have is that it helps before corners to hold down the L2/R2 button for whichever corner you're taking slightly before you reach it. If you hold it in slightly before it gives you a better sense of how far you will turn if you hold it down further, which makes it easier to control than just pressing it at point of turn because judgement is more difficult and usually results in a sudden jolt = lame scraping into walls.

It's because initially you press it slightly and nothing happens so you have to force it down quite hard to make it register anything and you usually end up overcooking the turn. I think that's the best way of explaining it.

Ah thats brilliant! I wondered if I had the cornering skills right but was most of the time scraping walls that had sharp turnings or when I was racing at higher speeds. Been trying to do it earlier but it's nice to know that's the right thing to do. Would hop on this now but it's a bit late. maybe a bit tomorrow morning :heh:

Yeah I'm just playing now and it turns out I am a fan. It's weirdly enchanting as you drive through, I'm glad the music choice was trance because frantic motorstorm material would make it too tense.

Other tips - know when to barrel roll (get lift by holding down - not necessary most of time), know where to use boosts best (off ramps - they can massively reduce time of laps by leaping above rest and barrelling from it. I don't use weapons that often because rolling uses energy, so mostly absorb power-ups unless last ditch.

Plus the key to Wipeout is knowing where the boost pads are. If you don't then you lose basically.

Personally i think the F-zero controls are easier (and better) so even though it's hard, it maybe easier to get skilled at it. Got the hang of the controls MUCH faster than in Wipeout.

Yeah F-Zero GX was easier for me to master. You dont have to worry about weapons either.

GX was a very forgiving game, there was never really that great a difference in lap times which showed that it was beginner friendly. I found it got boring fast, especially with no weapons. There was one really great track, but too many had very few hard turns.

Really took to Wipeout once I got into it.

Ah good to hear, I didn't just spout drivel for once. Maybe I should become a guide writer? Nah, too boring.

Could do as the tips work. Is there a speed boost if you time the acceleration right at start and does holding forwards or backwards when not in the air do anything? Also, I have beaten a few of your times on some tracks now :heh: Cant wait for fury.

Haha that's unfair! Haven't played in ages, I sense rivalry. Do you want dedication? Because I seriously feel that I could get myself to platinum. We should race to get there and become gaming gurus. Yeah...

Good luck beating Zico though haha. The one recorded isn't even the fastest I've done, I beat the time set for the track and no trophy came up and I was like 'WTF MAN!?' worse still the time didn't record. I was devastated because it took me ages to beat it, so stayed up an extra hour and beat it again, just not as good a time. Still, got the trophy though.

There is a boost at the start but have forgotten the timing of it.

Edited by dwarf

haha no. was looking at the trophies, going, hmmm...midly possible. Not possible. Hard. Man forget this! so im playing this particular game for fun. And the challenge, but getting trophies is totally a bonus. And have comptemplated the zico thing but will wait a bit till i kill myself over that one.