N-Europe

HTC Touch HD (phone)

Choze

Fantastic handset, isn't it? :)

Try this site for tips and tweaks; http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=451

It takes a bit of getting in to, but there's loads of useful info on there, a great selection of apps and some good tweaks that will make the device run smoother. Some of the stuff never ceases to amaze me, currently running the new Touchflo found on the Touch Pro 2 on my Xperia and it's smooth as silk! (bar a memory leak, but that's being fixed). Contemplating trying a WinMo 6.5 beta next.

Fantastic handset, isn't it? :)

Try this site for tips and tweaks; http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=451

It takes a bit of getting in to, but there's loads of useful info on there, a great selection of apps and some good tweaks that will make the device run smoother. Some of the stuff never ceases to amaze me, currently running the new Touchflo found on the Touch Pro 2 on my Xperia and it's smooth as silk! (bar a memory leak, but that's being fixed). Contemplating trying a WinMo 6.5 beta next.

Ah thanks. I am coming from symbian but they seem to have paused development on everything so its been boring for a while. Currently borrowing the HTC Touch HD. Love the screen. I think i prefer it to the Iphone because the screen is so nice. I am looking more closely at the Iphone but windows has good support nowadays. Its still not as snappy as the N95 but it seems great with Touchflo. Hopefully MS do the tweaks in 6.5

So is the Xperia worth getting? I like the idea of keyboard but is it worth the thickness and weight?

I have Vista so syncing should be great right?

So is the Xperia worth getting? I like the idea of keyboard but is it worth the thickness and weight?

Personally i'd rank a full QWERTY keyboard as a must have in a smart phone. The Nokia E90 converted me, sublime keyboard! While the one on the X1 isn't as good it's still far better than using an on-screen keyboard and a lot faster than T9 (phone keypad) or SureType (Blackberry).

Thickness wise i'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Obviously it's not as thin as the Touch HD/iPhone but it's hardly unreasonable. I've just put it next to my old W810i and they're about the same. Considering it's packing a full QWERTY keyboard, touch screen and more powerful components in to that space it's pretty impressive. By modern phone standards it's slightly thinner than the N96 :) As for weight, it definitely feels solid :p

Would i recommend it? Maybe. With the Touch Pro 2 just around the corner it's a difficult one. Out of the box the OS on the X1 is a bit poor, it's not as fast as it could be and there's no Touchflo to hide Windows Mobile (and Panels, but they only go so far). The next update is due next month, using a beta of it now and it's a big improvement, but still the basic WinMo UI.

If you're prepared to tinker with it, installing optomisations, tweaks and maybe even custom ROMs then it's a great handset, from a hardware perspective it's the best Windows device available to this country (the HTC WiMax is better, but Russia only). If you're after a simple device that functions really well from the off then wait for the Touch Pro 2, the new Touchflo 3D is really good and pretty much masks over the Windows interface completely (even stuff like messaging is now done within TF3D!).

Edited by McPhee

Personally i'd rank a full QWERTY keyboard as a must have in a smart phone. The Nokia E90 converted me, sublime keyboard! While the one on the X1 isn't as good it's still far better than using an on-screen keyboard and a lot faster than T9 (phone keypad) or SureType (Blackberry).

Thickness wise i'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Obviously it's not as thin as the Touch HD/iPhone but it's hardly unreasonable. I've just put it next to my old W810i and they're about the same. Considering it's packing a full QWERTY keyboard, touch screen and more powerful components in to that space it's pretty impressive. By modern phone standards it's slightly thinner than the N96 :) As for weight, it definitely feels solid :p

Would i recommend it? Maybe. With the Touch Pro 2 just around the corner it's a difficult one. Out of the box the OS on the X1 is a bit poor, it's not as fast as it could be and there's no Touchflo to hide Windows Mobile (and Panels, but they only go so far). The next update is due next month, using a beta of it now and it's a big improvement, but still the basic WinMo UI.

If you're prepared to tinker with it, installing optomisations, tweaks and maybe even custom ROMs then it's a great handset, from a hardware perspective it's the best Windows device available to this country (the HTC WiMax is better, but Russia only). If you're after a simple device that functions really well from the off then wait for the Touch Pro 2, the new Touchflo 3D is really good and pretty much masks over the Windows interface completely (even stuff like messaging is now done within TF3D!).

Thanks McPhee. Really liking it so far. Had some issues but resolved i think. It does require much tinkering. Having said that it may be my new phone. I like th eIphone too but this has a tech advantage.

Screen01.jpg

check out the screen res!

Going to test multimedia and other stuff on it. I have gmail on it but its abit fiddly. Using IMAP but its not fetching all the time despite me setting it that way... I am usre its an odd issue. Symbian phones had similar stuff. Looking for a google calendar sync as well.

I have gmail on it but its abit fiddly. Using IMAP but its not fetching all the time despite me setting it that way... I am usre its an odd issue. Symbian phones had similar stuff. Looking for a google calendar sync as well.

What is it that you're wanting it to do? WinMo will go online and fetch emails at intervals set by you. It won't deliver them like text messages (i.e. as soon as they arrive in your GMail inbox). For that you'd need Blackberry Connect, which i believe is a subscription service.

I'd ask over at XDA-Developers about the streaming thing, someone there will know. I had a look but couldn't find anything. It's definitely possible, it's just a case of has anybody other than you ever needed that feature :p

EDIT: Have a read;

http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=The%20UPnP%20Bible

From that i gather that this program should do what you're after;

http://www.conduits.com/products/player/

Hope this helps :)

Edited by McPhee

What is it that you're wanting it to do? WinMo will go online and fetch emails at intervals set by you. It won't deliver them like text messages (i.e. as soon as they arrive in your GMail inbox). For that you'd need Blackberry Connect, which i believe is a subscription service.

I'd ask over at XDA-Developers about the streaming thing, someone there will know. I had a look but couldn't find anything. It's definitely possible, it's just a case of has anybody other than you ever needed that feature :p

sorted the email stuff out! Works perfectly. :grin: Business wise this phone is great. :awesome:

the media server nothing yet but found ways to view from other servers not run them. The cool thing baout symbian was that you had freeware for server based stuff. Bittorrent, p2p and medi aservers etc. are normal and simple. Though Symbian is boring nowadays even if it is useful :p

Still getting the GMAIL IMAP problem! Each time i delete and recreate the account it works for a while. But when i check during the day it does not work from then on. I can tell its running MS software lol.

I can see why alot of people dont like Windows mobile. It really needs alot of work. The fact that companies are trying to hide it is telling. Its really hard ot recommend if you dont want to put effor into the phone. In comparison an Iphone is hassle free. The Symbian are less hassle and much more functional. MS have lots of work to do and HTC need to add more hardware features.

As it is think the screen is somewhat wasted. Wait till someone like Apple get a hold of a screen like this. Wait being the key word. I am not going to give up yet!

• 3 weeks later...