N-Europe

Wireless Cable TV Reciever/Sender

flameboy

Hey,

The Digital switch over happens in these parts fairly soon... Whilst downstairs we have Virgin Media + box and normal virgin box, upstairs there is no wiring for TV, up till now I have had to make do with just plain old normal TV.

I've seen a fair few of these wireless things doing the rounds and thought about getting one. Do they work well or not? I've seen a phillips one are there any that let you change the channels without going to the cable box itself?

The reason wireless is easier is because its my dads house and he has issues with cables running everywhere...he just doesn't want it basically...

Failing that its going to be the costly trauma of getting a TV aerial installed and a port put in my room...

It's something I was never going to worry about as me and my girlfriend were going to get place of our own, but we split up so looks like I am stuck at home for the foreseeable future.

See one I saw in ASDA was a phillips one and was like £45 but didn't say about channel changing...

I'm guessing that isn't the only one that offer channel changing, but it's the sort of thing that probably isn't worth skimping on quality. For obvious reasons.

How far are you from the box? What's the cost of a second box? The wire isn't too hard to run yourself, and it's quite cheap that way, though of course it does require effort on your part but it'd be my suggestion, anyway(if you can work your dad around). Another option would be to try out one of those little portable aerials on a freeveiw box, though sometimes unrealiable I've seen alot of friends at unis with them.

Is there no already existing aerial in your house already too, from before when you got the cable tv?

Edited by Rummy

How far are you from the box? What's the cost of a second box? The wire isn't too hard to run yourself, and it's quite cheap that way, though of course it does require effort on your part but it'd be my suggestion, anyway(if you can work your dad around). Another option would be to try out one of those little portable aerials on a freeveiw box, though sometimes unrealiable I've seen alot of friends at unis with them.

Is there no already existing aerial in your house already too, from before when you got the cable tv?

It wouldn't be a second box would be a third box lol

I'm just up the stars from the room with the digibox... wireless internet seems to work with no problems at all...

I have a portable aerial that doesn't seem to work with the freeview built into the TV can anyone suggest one?

Yes there really is no arieal on the roof...well there is an old knackered one up there but its not connected to any of the sockets in the house lol. We got the cable installed the day we moved in and the previous owners had sky and were botch job workers...so not surprised it doesn't work.

Ahh, I seee. We don't use proper sockets for the aerial inputs in my house, just a wire appearing out of a wall or a hole! All our TVs run off one aerial in the loft with a signal booster/splitter to send it to like...5 different places in the house atm. When we got the VM cable box we ran cable underneath the house to the two main rooms with TVs, in case we ever decided to move the box/get a second. It's quite easy to run it as I said, it's just coaxial(aerial) cable with a certain connector on the end, of course we had alot of it cos of our previous aerialings :) If you're anywhere near DIY inclined, or even then you don't have to be majorly, you could do it yourself(though for the aerial ON the roof, I dunno).

I know my mate's dad has one of those changey remote dealies though, I'll ask him about it if I manage to speak to him at some point.