NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Why won't this shit delete!

Ok, those who saw my recent thread saw I got a caddy for my old HDD so I could use it as some extra storage/portage. I'm currently trying to clear up some space on it, and doing rather well, I've been using WinDirStat a bit too to help me see where the biggest critters were/show me how relative it is, mainly just to keep things interesting, and help me organise all like files together etc. It's amazing how disorganised things were! Anyway onto the point, did a little scan with WinDirStat, and my current biggest problem is 'System Volume Information'. It's hueg, taking up about 5GB! I've already gotten rid of the pagefile, the hiberfil, program files and most of the windows directory without any issues. I'm running Vista on this comp, the drive is from a laptop that was running XP.

However! System volume information, I cannot delete! I try to delete it, nothing happens after it asks if I'm sure! I've tried regular delete in windows, regular delete through WinDirStat, permanent non-recoverable delete in WinDirStat(also how I located and deleted the pagefile and that) but it doesn't go anywhere! I tried a google, found some info that seemed to work for other people but just is not working for me! I used the info to make it so I could see the folders, but the delete just ain't happening. Also, the windows directory is all but nearly gone(just want it gone for tidyness). I try to delete it but it tells me there's an error as it contains something. It's currently 'Windows > system32 > drivers' like that's all that's there, no files, empty folders, but I still can't delete any of them! Why can I not delete either of these bastards, anyone know? Or even better...have a solution for me? :D

EDIT:Fixed the Windows folder thing now, restarted the comp earlier and found what looks like a disk check log showing some sort of corruption there(maybe what bugger the original laptop in the first place) so I can now delete the Windows folder, but still nothing on System Volume Information! Grrr!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDITEDIT: The drive has a 'Recycle Bin' and 'Recycled' folder on it, when I double click them it takes me to the Recycle bin, a whole communal one for my entire computer. If I simply right click these in the folder view and delete them it won't affect my actual recycle bin which still remains on my desktop, will it?

Ok, it seems Vista is ultimately just a piece of shit, after another wasted day of stupidness, I decided to TRY running downstairs whilst my sister had her XP laptop out, hooking it up to that and deleting things from there. It went mostly without a hitch(annoying, given all the things i already tried in vista). I got something called BCWipe to help me wipe it, but it made windows error every few seconds, wouldnt taken forever to keep clicking away the errors whilst it ran. Is there anyone out there who happens to know why Vista couldn't deal with it, I'm most curious and most puzzled, too!

So now, most/all of my problems are solved, except the last one regarding to Recycle Bin, as highlighted above with some boldness.

"The drive has a 'Recycle Bin' and 'Recycled' folder on it, when I double click them it takes me to the Recycle bin, a whole communal one for my entire computer. If I simply right click these in the folder view and delete them it won't affect my actual recycle bin which still remains on my desktop, will it?"

Sign in to follow this