N-Europe

Getting XP on a linux system without a CD drive

flameboy

If you need an external drive, you could buy the Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive for lulz, nobody wants them now so they're selling for like £25 on ebay, probably just as cheap in your local CEX or whatever.

They work perfectly as an external drive and even have extra USB ports for win (not portable though because it needs a power brick).

ADDED BONUS: If you have a 360 you can then play HD-DVD movies! woo!

ASDA are selling the acer aspire one for just £150 but with linux how would you get windows on to it? Is there a legit way to do it? I want to avoid having a buy an external cd drive.

You'd have to buy a copy of Windows XP then install using an external CD drive.

Instead, grab a 4GB USB pen and the Windows 7 beta here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx

This page tells you how to install from USB:

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx

Installing from a USB Memory Stick. My wife has a Samsung NC10 netbook (very nice machine, by the way), and we wanted to install Windows 7 Beta on this machine to replace the pre-installed Windows XP environment. Like most netbook-class devices, this machine has no built-in media drive, and nor did I have an external USB DVD drive available to boot off. The solution: I took a spare 4GB USB 2.0 thumbdrive, reformatted it as FAT32, and simply copied the contents of the Windows 7 Beta ISO image to the memory stick using xcopy e:\ f:\ /e /f (where e: was the DVD drive and f: was the removable drive location). Not only was it easy to boot and install from the thumbdrive, it was also blindingly fast: quicker than the corresponding DVD install on my desktop machine.

The Beta is due to be a good 6 months long so that'll solve the problem for a while. With a bit of luck Microsoft bridge to Beta in to the product release and allow users to upgrade to the full retail version without a reinstall.

hmmm so that could work..... But then I may run into problem when it comes to the beta ending and theres no gurantees that my itunes will be stable with it...

Perhaps I should just be a cheap skate and save up for a decent netbook...its just sooo cheap...if it wasn't for damn linux...

One question: What do you need to do on it that you can't do on linux? It's a piece of shit 1.6GHz Atom with no doubt fuck all storage and totally useless onboard graphics. It's not like you could pretend to game on it anyway, I thought they were just supposed to browse the net, which firefox can do just fine.

One question: What do you need to do on it that you can't do on linux? It's a piece of shit 1.6GHz Atom with no doubt fuck all storage and totally useless onboard graphics. It's not like you could pretend to game on it anyway, I thought they were just supposed to browse the net, which firefox can do just fine.

It's got a 160GB hard drive....basically I want to be able to update my ipod still...it has a purchased songs on it but my big old (5/6 years) is really chugging and on its last legs...

I don't game on PC so its not an issue so basically just itunes and web browsing...

Ah, right, well, makes sense. Good work, Apple.

I know makes little sense why they wouldn't release a version for linux... i think i'm gonna give up the idea...I;ve found various programmes that will help to run it such as WINE but they seem laden with problems when it comes to itunes.