N-Europe

New TV problem

Daniel

My girlfriend got a new 19 inch samsung lcd tv for xmas, worked fine at her house when plugged into the ariel from the wall but took her back to uni today and set it up there with an indoor digital ariel. The analogue part works ok-ish, what i expected from where she is and other peoples pictures on their tvs but when i switch it to the digital setting on the tv and press menu it doesnt even show up as an ariel being connected. Cant select the settings to tune it, its all greyed out.

Her dad went into town to try and buy a different one but all he could get was an outdoor ariel! So he bought it and assembled it in her room! This huge tv ariel designed for the outside of a house! and the tv didnt recognise that either, didnt even affect the quality of the analogue picture much either (bigger not always better apparently)

Her neighbour gets freeview on her tv so what could the problem be? Anyone got any ideas?

Sounds like interference more than anything... Make sure theres no wireless (as in Wi-Fi) aerials near by or any microwaves or anything like that.

I get really, really bad Freeview signal here, but it works. You could always try another TV in the room, just to be sure.

Surely even if the signal is really bad the TV should still pick up the fact that the ariel is plugged in and allow you to go on the menu for scanning for channels. There is no wi-fi transmitter in the room but the whole building is wi-fi enabled if that makes sense as its halls of residence. Could it be to do with the fact that her freeview is built into the TV whereas her neighbours TV has a separate freeview box?

Surely even if the signal is really bad the TV should still pick up the fact that the ariel is plugged in and allow you to go on the menu for scanning for channels. There is no wi-fi transmitter in the room but the whole building is wi-fi enabled if that makes sense as its halls of residence. Could it be to do with the fact that her freeview is built into the TV whereas her neighbours TV has a separate freeview box?

It shouldn't matter, my freeview is built into my tv and works exactly the same as having a seperate box. The signal will still be the same.

Halls that doesn't have an outdoor ariel is really odd.

I was just thinking, If she plugged in a freeview box and use that instead of the built in freeview? worth a try i guess.

Not that odd really, when i was at Loughborough the halls of residence didnt have outdoor ariels. Mine did but it was private halls not university owned ones. At Leeds they have them in the Unite halls but they are privately owned too not university owned

Edit: just found a picture on google images that demonstrates what i mean

menu-white-balance.jpg

See how the tab is greyed out on the left? When you scroll down it just skips it. Whereas if i exit the menu and press the TV/DTV button on the remote to go back to analogue and then go back to the menu its not greyed out.

Is the digital signal so bad that it doesnt even recognise theirs an ariel plugged in when its on digital mode? Its the centre of Newcastle! You would of thought the digital signal would be quite strong.

I was just thinking, If she plugged in a freeview box and use that instead of the built in freeview? worth a try i guess.

Not that odd really, when i was at Loughborough the halls of residence didnt have outdoor ariels. Mine did but it was private halls not university owned ones. At Leeds they have them in the Unite halls but they are privately owned too not university owned

Ah that'll be why, alot of the halls in Sheffield are unite.

I'd try plugging in another box then, but I'm pretty sure it could be something as simple as weak signal, I get the same thing at home, my sister can pick up most freeview and I can't pick it up at all.