Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Inspiration

Sarka

Just a thread about the irratation of inspiration...

I always seem to be able to get inspiration for whole novel's really easily, but I never write them down or write a full novel about them. I'm sure I could cut the main idea down to afew pages but it would be very bad. If I ever make a story I would want to really develope the characters. I've always wanted to make a extremely big novel saying about each any every moment in someones life, everything that they do. That would be cool, if I could learn to write it properly.

This seems to be the only inspirations I get, to wirte long, mainly depressing stories. Never short snappy stories or poems. Anyone else have the same problem?

Guest Stefkov

i have some problem when im doing art. sometimes i can think of loads of ideas, they come in and out of my head like 5 a day(this kind of really happened with my mocks), but then theres some other times where cant think of anything, nothing will come to my head. its wierd.

i have some problem when im doing art. sometimes i can think of loads of ideas, they come in and out of my head like 5 a day(this kind of really happened with my mocks), but then theres some other times where cant think of anything, nothing will come to my head. its wierd.

I have a similar issue often. I will think of many ideas, and I really can't wait to do the project, or graphic, but then when I go to actually do it, I forget all my ideas. It reallycan bug you, especially when you truely think your old ideas were really good. I really need to get a pack of sticky notes. :P

I always seem to be able to get inspiration for whole novel's really easily, but I never write them down or write a full novel about them. I'm sure I could cut the main idea down to afew pages but it would be very bad. If I ever make a story I would want to really develope the characters.

I've had this problem for years.

This is where you'd hope I write down the magical fix that I've developed over that time, right?

Thought so.

I think it might be down to a form of perfectionism. You come up with an idea that you like, but you know it could be even better if you developed the reasons behind that character's actions, or explained why she's afraid of ducks, or... And there you go, suckered in by the 'bigger is better' ethos once again.

I don't set out to be mean; if I had an answer you'd know it by now. All I can say is, "Don't be afraid." It's not as good as it could be, it isn't perfect. But perfection is a carrot, something that drives you forward whilst being tantalisingly out of reach. Sometimes you just have to know when to stop the chase.

With any luck, hypocrisy isn't all bad.