NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Pestneb

XP program loading issue

ok, bit of a weird one

certain programs won't open when I click the icon on the desktop or in quick launch.

Windows media player, paint and notepad are the only programs I've found that are affected. Other programs such as Firefox, internet explorer etc. are ok.

I'm behind a corporate firewall (which I wouldn't trust to much really cos the IT guys are a bit of a joke) and I have ZoneAlarm and AVG. I've scanned my PC with AVG, all seems ok, ZoneAlarm settings all seem ok, all set to maximum, no weird programs have access rights or anything like that.

The only way the programs work is by clicking start and then run and opening them that way.

any ideas what could do this? Microsoft sticking malware on my pc in the form of "security updates" is my number one idea. I go back home for christmas, so I'll grab an XP disk then and reinstall everything, but I'd rather avoid that as I've only just got everything sorted, and I'd be a bit nervous moving all my uni files around and risking losing something. (I have got backups which I like to think are comprehensive enough, but still I prefer my backups to remain just that).

Anyway, if any of you guys have any ideas of what I can do (other than reinstall windows, or go for Linux) I'd appreciate it.

Do you get any kind of message when you try to open the files via shortcuts on the desktop? Or just nothing happens at all?

absolutely nothing happens, the timer doesn't even bother to flicker up.

also just thought I'd add, if I go to the folder the programs are in and click directly on those icons the same thing happens.

Its weird because other programs open up with no problems, and there's no link between a text editor, media player, and paint program. even the Microsoft link is a dead end because internet explorer isn't affected, nor is calculator and other Microsoft programs.

Sign in to follow this