NEurope
Falcon_BlizZACK

Your 5 Reasons why the Wii is great

OK, I might have been telling a white lie about one of those reasons. See if you can guess which!

The Streets of Rage bit. That game is SO overrated, and I know you're very level headed, so you wouldn't be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. :heh:

Worries me a bit how many people in this thread list 'Nintendo' as a reason for the Wii being great...

I've only just got around to replying to this. It makes perfect sense to me, to be honest. With each console, you do have some idea of how things will be, and what sort of things to expect with each system.

With Nintendo, you know for a fact that franchises like Zelda, Mario, Metroid, F Zero, Mario Kart (etc) will all be making some form of appearance. They're attached to the Nintendo name.

With Microsoft, you know that Halo is going to be a big player on that system.

The franchises are attached to that developers. The fact that the console belongs to Nintendo, as well as the franchises belonging to them, is a huge deciding factor in whether to buy a console or not. If you're not going to have the games or franchises making an appearance on the system, then it doesn't matter how great the console is, it will never live up to the expectations that it should rightly reach.

With my top 5 list, the fact that it's a Nintendo system would be my top reason:

1: It's Nintendo. There's a certain vibe that runs through each Nintendo system, and they definitely carry it over to the Wii. Its a neat little system, and you know the future will always be bright with them. Complain about a game drought all you like, but you only have to look at their list of franchises to realise that the future is full of promise.

2. Accessibility. It's a very pick up and play system. I can easily spend hours just playing WiiSports Tennis against my housemate, or having a tournament of Mario Kart with them. Its easy to use, and so people don't get put off by complicated controls, or bizarre instructions. They've got the basics right, which is important.

3. WiiSports. Call it whatever you like. A tech demo, a fun party game, whatever. Its awesome. So easy to just waste so many hours playing against an experienced gamer, or a n00b who has never really picked up a game before.

4. The multiplayer experience. Nintendo are always one step of the game with this, in reference to multiple-gamers in the same room. (not talking about online.) Mario Kart is a prime example of how awesome it still is to have your mates in the room with you and just wreaking havoc all around. :D

5. Its Fresh and Unpredictable. With each key game I purchase, it does seem like I'm a gamer reborn, everytime. Also, you're never quite sure what Nintendo will be up to next. WiiFit was a lovely surprise, and it shows that whatever ideas you have in your head, Nintendo are always thinking even further ahead than that.

The Streets of Rage bit. That game is SO overrated, and I know you're very level headed, so you wouldn't be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. :heh:

Do you know what, I always thought Streets of Rage was overrated! I enjoyed playing my friends' copies, but it was hailed as better than Golden Axe and Double Dragon (great Mega Drive version), which I didn't think it was. I also preferred Final Fight, although of course it wasn't 2-player on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 was very good though.

No More Heroes

Resident Evil 4

Super Mario Galaxy

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption

Okami

The Wii is already justified for these 5 reasons alone (there are more obviously).

Do you know what, I always thought Streets of Rage was overrated! I enjoyed playing my friends' copies, but it was hailed as better than Golden Axe and Double Dragon (great Mega Drive version), which I didn't think it was. I also preferred Final Fight, although of course it wasn't 2-player on the SNES. Streets of Rage 2 was very good though.

Same here. I played that game to death in the arcades and on the GBA :)

Hopefully King V won't mind this slight derailage of his thread... I think Double Dragon is immense. I have Double Dragon II on Gameboy, pure class. Did you guys ever play Rival Turf? (Do we needa take this to retro? :p)

Streets of Rage...over-rated?

And I suppose that John Lennon was only JUST a man? Or Jesus was some guy.

I can't believe my Muslim ears.