N-Europe

AMD Athlon 6400 x2 dual core processor

Esequiel

My old PC frazzled out a few days ago :( I decided to bite the bullet and get something new (but i needed it to be cheap aswell). My old PC was:

P4 3.2Ghz

2G DDRII ram

GF7200 (or something like that)

Ummm thats about it

The one iv picked up now is a:

AMD Athlon 6400 X2 DC 4050e

2G ram

GF 8200

Iv hooked it up for now (not sure if i want to keep vista on it or not lol) and im just hoping someone could tell me about the reliability of these processors. From what i hear there pretty fast but can get very hot. My CPU temp is at 53 atm.....

Eh? Your CPU is either a 6400+ or 4050e. The 6400+ is really hot but costs 100 pounds, while the 4050 is pretty cool and quiet.

The 6400+ should run quite warm but nothing particularly unstable or anything.

You might want to download CPU-Z to check what your processor is. You can post a screenshot here.

You're running a 4050e, it should be very fine, stable and cool. It's even clocked itself back to 1 GHz. It probably runs under 25 degrees.

The core voltage seems to be pretty insane though. It should run at 1.2V...

You should really lower your CPU voltage to 1.2 volts in the BIOS. An overvolt by .45 volt is not a good thing. The people who built it must've accidentally flagged one of the highest voltages the motherboard could take.

Hmm! Something seems pretty crazy about this. (the fact that its showing up as 1Ghz when it should be 2.1ghz) It just reminded me that a certain AMD processor doesnt show up correctly on peoples PCs.. I wonder whether thats the 6400?

"Also windows vista does not recognize this processor, must be too new."

http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/processors-retail-box/m/47315057/

Perhaps its showing the wrong information?

This is what should be showing up:

http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/487/AMD_Athlon_X2_4050e.html

The multiplier should be 10.5, not 5x. and the voltage is stated as 1.15v