N-Europe

corrupt hard drive

Tom

I have all my music/tv shows etc on a separate IDE drive connected via a USB adaptor. This system has been working fine for ages.

Today I'm listening to my music, go to change tracks and it says the destination directory is corrupted and unreadable. So i try a different file, and then i try browsing the drive itself. It still says it's corrupted and doesnt see the drive as formatted.

So i tried the old failsafe - turn in off and on again. Still no joy.

Any idea whats up here? A hard drive cant just magically corrupt like that surely? Its cool, stationary and none of the files have been intentionally changed/added for several weeks.

If it's gone, I will be very very very upset!

Unfortunately it's a laptop, so i dont have the option to connect it straight to the pc. However one of my other IDE drives is working fine via the adaptor, so the fact that its working fine also removes the adaptor from the equation.

I'll try that program tomorrow, thanks.

A mate's computer won't boot up windows, instead it goes to a blue screen of death after that blue bar appears with the logo of xp professional. So I put it in another computer for him and tried to access it with the drive in slave mode. The computer says it can't be read and must be formatted. Im guessing that this is confirmation that A: the drive is buggered and B: that I installed correctly (jumper settings) in the second machine, otherwise it would not be detected.

Anyways I tried using the recuva software but it said it could not read the file system type of the drive. SO if I did go ahead and format it, would I still be able to get the data back using the recuva software. Because if not and I do format it, that important data is gone forever. And I dont want to be the culprit of that.